Hi! I just joined. Purcellville, VA (Loudoun County)

DopyDgz

In the Brooder
6 Years
Dec 29, 2013
I grew up in rural Maine, had a couple of Seabright Bantams as pets. I bought a house in Purcellville VA that has an old coop at the back of the property, and am toying with the idea of getting some Bantys as pets. I've been reading up on Mille Fleur Duccles and would love to find someplace to get some in the spring.

For some reason, watching chickens scratching around, doing their thing, makes me absurdly happy. I guess I am easily amused!

Would love to hear from chicken-keeping neighbors, and especially of a source for bantams nearby.

Alright and
welcome-byc.gif
glad you could join in
frow.gif

Did I hear that correctly picking chickens over us
barnie.gif

jumpy.gif
There are some chickens on the buy sell trade under Forums but you need to do 20 Post to use it but wait you only have four is that correct I guess you need to go and say hello to some people and get your 20 Post in so you can use the buy sell trade
smile.png

Chickens could you imagine that and we have spots ya but they also want feathers on their shanks oh that chicken I saw one of those,,,,, where ,,,,,,,,,,,,, in the buy sale trade Forum
caf.gif

I guess some Post need to be written up ya
rant.gif

gander007
old.gif

Hello :frow Welcome To BYC and Happy Holidays! You might want to post on your state thread to find local bantam breeders. https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/80/virginia You could also check out the threads for whatever breeds you are interested in, in the Breeds, Genetics, & Showing forum. If you wind up having to ship chicks, almost all of the big hatcheries carry Milly Fleur d'Uccles.

Hi. I also live in Purcellville. I don't have chickens yet but hope to get some soon. I am trying to find out all the rules for chickens and coops in town before I do. So far the only town ordinance I've found just says that any chickens have to be kept on your property. I hope I can find what I need to know before it gets a warm enough to get any babies.

From what I could find on line, no animal shelter can be within 60' of a property line according to Loudoun County, which rules my lot out. However, I have heard from people on this forum who keep chickens in town in Purcellville (one gal said she lives right by the Town Hall) without problem. Keeping everything clean and odor free, and no keeping roosters, I suspect are key.

I asked at the animal shelter this morning when I renewed my dog's license. The lady who knew about the chicken stuff said that the county doesn't enforce any chicken rules in Purcellville. They only enforce poultry in Leesburg because Leesburg pays them to.

Back
Top Bottom