Hi I'm a new member

jogsd

Hatching
5 Years
Apr 22, 2014
I have just rescued 4 little girls, and I have split the biggest up from the other 3 as she is a bit of a bully, then hens in general are thin and in poor condition ( not for long) is it best to keep the bully on her own now as the other 3 seemed more settle,

When you say "on her own now" do you mean forever? Or just a few days until everyone gets settled?

I would keep them close to each other (so they can all see each other) and then reintroduce in a few days after everyone seems a bit healthier.

Also what is your setup like? How much room do they have? Are these adult birds? If they came from a bad over-crowded situation that will contribute to the bullying behavior. Separate food dishes so one can't guard all of the food and keep others away from it helps too.

Last edited:
Hi and welcome to BYC from northern Michigan
big_smile.png

It is very kind of you to take in neglected birds. I would recommend separating the bully for a few days, ideally away from the other hens, then try reintroducing her.

images

Welcome to BYC!

Congrats on your rescued birds! They are no doubt stressed and under nourished which can make them cranky. I would separate the bully completely out of the flock for a few weeks. If you can, keep her out of view completely so that when you do reintroduce her, she is almost a new bird and should have lost her edge and place in the flock. If you don't have this kind of room or time, you can also use pinless peepers on the bully. I have a hen that sometimes requires these things as she can also be a bully...

They can see up, down and to the sides, but not in front to aim and fire off the beak. She will need to wear them for about 30 days, although these peepers do not completely change their attitudes, but it does pipe them down. You may need to use them again in the future.

I would recommend a very good diet and add somethings like meat to the diet a couple times a week. Good protein and building blocks of nutrients. I would also add some probiotics to the water to help boost the immune system. Make sure your birds are not over cramped in the coop or run. Cramped birds will go off on each other easily. Give them things to do like hanging veggies or cabbage to occupy their time.

Good luck with your new flock. Over time they should all healthy up and settle in. Welcome to our flock!

Hello :frow and Welcome To BYC! Good Luck with your new girls, how kind of you to rescue them, am sure they appreciate their new home. You've gotten some good suggestions above on things to try with the girl who is being a bully, hope she behaves herself.

Hi everyone and thank u for your welcome, they are all
In a massive shed split in to so they can all c each other they have a run and can still c each other, big mamma is a lot bigger then the others and is a bully, I have tried them together but she goes for them and is not nice to c, my thinkinging is to keep separate but she still sees them, toffee vinilla and coffee are happy and eating well as is big mamma

Back
Top Bottom