Hi, I'm Buffy... and I'm a chicken addict...

I know, I know. This isn't a 12-step program for chicken lovers. Far from it. I am new to this site however, and I suppose I should introduce myself. My real name is Brenda. My husband had a small flock, if that's what you can call it, about 9 years ago. We had about 6 banties in the city and half of them turned out to be Roos. I have to admit, I wasn't very fond of the banties. You know when you tell someone that has small dogs, that you are a big dog kind of person... it's like that. They have a very different vibe to them. Almost like they vibrate on a much higher frequency and it makes me sooo uncomfortable. And not to mention, they are tiny. I'm always afraid I would break one. So anyway, we didn't have chickens for quite some time. Then this last August, my husband informs me that he ordered about 30 baby chicks. Surprise! It was love at first sight. We got Rhode Island Reds, Buff Orpingtons, Barred Rocks, Silver Laced Wyondottes and two brown/Danish Leghorn cockerels. Turned out that two of the reds and one of the buffs were cockerels too and that is OK. We gave one of the reds to a friend that wanted one and I found a family for one of the leghorns that was getting bullied. But the Buff. Oh! The buff. If you could bottle happiness or describe a personality as pure sunshine, that would be our Buffy. We thought she was a she, until one day... POOF! She's a he. So Buffy is now kind of Biff. Last night something happened and Biff got injured (broken leg, above the knee) and I'm literally killing time looking at websites while I wait to take him to the vet. Yes, this chicken is that important to us. No soup for this boy. So I have ran across this site a few times and every time I see it, it is full of great advice. So today I took the plunge and decided to join y'all. Yay me. That's my story. It's all I got.
:thumbsup :welcome

Welcome!! Orpington's are the BEST!!! My orpington roosters were best friends, never fought over the ladies and were the most friendly that you could imagine...and were huge. So happy you love yours!
Cheers -:weeM:welcome:goodpost:
buff1.jpg

Hope Biff will have a speedy recovery. Do you have an avian vet, near you?
I was ill prepared yesterday for such an emergency. I mistakenly thought that living in farm country, there would be local vets that would see and treat farm animals. Even my vet for my horses doesn't see chickens except to "administer antibiotics to their water". Duh, the directions are on the side of the box. I did find a vet that was wonderful and kind and patient with us. Unfortunately, it was a break above the knee (handle part of the drumstick where all the tendons are). This paralyzed his foot. Also, the break was one of those catastrophic bone explosions that birds are famous for. So the chance to save his leg became so very, very slim that we opted to end his suffering. We are devastated. I naively thought we would go in, the doc would throw a splint on him and we would be on our merry way with a gimpy bird. I was not prepared in any way to lose the flocks leader and mascot. We actually had him euthanized because neither of us could take care of him ourselves. (There were four birds in the flock like this, the rest... no big deal. Sick, but true. We all have our favorites.) Anyway, the doc helped us out and we buried our buddy under the flag pole in the yard and placed a couple very large rocks on top to keep the wild things out. And there he shall be. Forever. So today, we went to the coop to let everyone out for the day and we each grabbed a chicken and hugged it. Sorry, this is such a downer. Today is just a very, very sad day.

I was ill prepared yesterday for such an emergency. I mistakenly thought that living in farm country, there would be local vets that would see and treat farm animals. Even my vet for my horses doesn't see chickens except to "administer antibiotics to their water". Duh, the directions are on the side of the box. I did find a vet that was wonderful and kind and patient with us. Unfortunately, it was a break above the knee (handle part of the drumstick where all the tendons are). This paralyzed his foot. Also, the break was one of those catastrophic bone explosions that birds are famous for. So the chance to save his leg became so very, very slim that we opted to end his suffering. We are devastated. I naively thought we would go in, the doc would throw a splint on him and we would be on our merry way with a gimpy bird. I was not prepared in any way to lose the flocks leader and mascot. We actually had him euthanized because neither of us could take care of him ourselves. (There were four birds in the flock like this, the rest... no big deal. Sick, but true. We all have our favorites.) Anyway, the doc helped us out and we buried our buddy under the flag pole in the yard and placed a couple very large rocks on top to keep the wild things out. And there he shall be. Forever. So today, we went to the coop to let everyone out for the day and we each grabbed a chicken and hugged it. Sorry, this is such a downer. Today is just a very, very sad day.
IM SO SORRY for you loss. RIP BIFF :hit:hit:hugs

Back
Top Bottom