Hi I'm new and I could use some help?

cutesqueakersc

Hatching
5 Years
Apr 16, 2014
I have not the slightest idea how to raise ducks or chickens or any type of live stock or anything. I'm starting a chicken and duck coup and they are babies and other than a heat lamp and food and water I have no idea what else to do or what I need. And what is bird lice?

First of all, welcome to BYC! :) There is a wealth of knowledge here, and I'm glad you joined us.

Next, it sounds like your off to a great start. Food, water, and a heat lamp is good, but don't forget the shavings/wood pellets on the bottom of whatever your keeping them in. If its just slippery plastic/wood they're on, they could develop splay leg (where their legs twist in their sockets as they grow.).

And that should keep them until they grow bigger, and you'll find yourself needing a coop for them to live in. For my ducks, I employ a kiddie pool. For chickens, water buckets.

Normally I don't keep ducks and chickens together in a confined space - but it has been done.

As your poultry grow older, day trips outside are nice in a little pen with bringing them in at night. And as far as I can remember, thats pretty much it.

And what are you feeding them?

Bird lice is just lice that lives on birds. I'm no expert on the different types of lice, but I know when my birds get lice, the lice do not suck on me. They stay on the birds, thus, bird lice.

I hope I answered all your questions, and if you have anymore feel free to PM me or post in another section of the forum!

Here is raising baby chicks:

https://www.backyardchickens.com/f/11/raising-baby-chicks

Have a great day!

welcome-byc.gif
Good luck with your poultry raising adventures, and I hope you find everything you need to know. Don't forget to take a look at BYC's very useful learning center (If you haven't already)! The learning center as well as the forum should answer your questions! There is always something new to learn! Glad to have you here! See you around with the flock. Also, check out the BYC coops tab.

Bird lice is a parasite that can grow on the birds if they are left in rather filthy conditions and not given the proper opportunity to practice chicken hygiene (i.e. dust bathe). This really isn't something to worry about at this stage in your chicken career. It is also noticeable when a chicken has lice, as they will look mangy and ragged, as well as very lethargic. It can be treated with diamataceous earth or a poultry protective spray.

I am new as well but have found so much information here. I don't have ducks but two chickens. I got mine as chicks and it looks like you got everything they need for now. They are pretty low maintenance, if they have food and water for now. They grow fast and start getting their little personalities quick. Oh and they are so much fun. Just watch their temp with the heat lamp and make sure they got all their baby chick shots. Good luck with them. :)

Alright
welcome-byc.gif
great to have you joining the BYC flock
frow.gif

BYC has a very useful learning center it's packed with good info
you just need to find the subject of interest and it is written by
some skilled and knowledgeable people ...
caf.gif

The mane flock os Baby's
hugs.gif

The main flock grown up
clap.gif

Our newest baby's
love.gif

Bob & Aflack
yesss.gif

Our EE pullets
sickbyc.gif

Introducing baby's and the flock
gig.gif

Week 2 in the brooder
jumpy.gif

Getting ready to fly the coop
duc.gif

Oh ya feeding time
yippiechickie.gif

Week 3 out in the cold
tongue2.gif

gander007
old.gif

Last edited:
images

Welcome to BYC!

Yes, the learning center is a great place to start in with learning how to raise your new flock. Definitely read up on raising your new babies to get them to grow up healthy and strong. Start them out at around 95 degree heat, lamp off to one side, food and water on the other. Thermometer on the floor directly beneath the heat source. Lower this heat each week by 5 degrees for 6 weeks. Do not cover the brooder with anything but a screen or wire for good heat and oxygen exchange. And yes, they can fly out. Keep the brooder very clean, you can lay paper towels down for a few days and sprinkle food all around by the feeder so they can find the food. You can remove the towels in a couple days, once they know where the food is. Dip everybodies beak in the water on that first day so they know where the water is and they get a good drink before eating. Give them enough room in the brooder so there are cool spots in the brooder to cool off. About 1/2 square foot per baby to start with. You will need to expand this as they grow. The learning center has all this information.

Mites and lice can afflict your flock at any time. Just keep your brooder, coop and areas clean of poop, keep it dry as possible and check your birds often. Mites like to lay their eggs around the vent of the birds, but don't always hang out on the birds. They come out at night to suck the blood. Lice like to hang out on the backs of the necks of birds and you can easily see them or their eggs around the neck.

Good luck and it you have any questions, that is what we are here for. Welcome to our flock!

Back
Top Bottom