Hi. I'm new. Brand Spankin new :-).

BarbiB

In the Brooder
Nov 2, 2015
I have 7 Red star hens, 7 Black Star hens and one Black Star Rooster. They are 20 weeks old. I just got my first egg yesterday.

Any advice or ideas of what I can expect from here on out?

Hi BarbiB! I too am new to this site, though I have been raising chickens for about 6 years. I would say with 14 hens your chickens should start laying more and more till they hit about 8-10 eggs per day (at maximum productivity) I currently have 29 hens, and get about 22-26 a day, at roughly 5 months old.

Hope it helps, Pyotr

Welcome to BYC, Barbi. Glad you decided to join our flock. Congratulations! It's always so egg-citing getting that first egg. :eek:) Red Star and Black Star are two of a number of labels under which some hatcheries market their Red Sex Links and Black Sex Links, both of which are laying machines, consistently churning out more than 300 large brown eggs per hen per year. I've especially been impressed with the size of the Black Sex Link (Black Star's) egg as double yolks are not uncommon, and the Black Star's persistence in laying in cold winter weather as well. Please feel free to ask any questions you may have. We are here to help in any way we can. Cheers.

Welcome to Backyard chickens, I see many, many more eggs in your future. I hear they make great Xmas gifts - so save the money and use it on yourself.
gig.gif
just kidding.

Back
Top Bottom