hi I'm new here & looking for great info & friends!!!!

iprincess4chick

Hatching
7 Years
May 31, 2012
Central CT
HI I just got 2 week old Delaware chicks, 4 of them, I love them so much can they hear me talk to them or is talking useless? They seem to want to scratch a lot in there brooder, what can I put in there that won't hurt them?? any info on these great girls would be helpful.

Hello and welcome to BYC!
frow.gif
I talk to my chickens all the time. They can hear perfectly well! The trick is to get them to listen
lol.png

You can give them some dry grass, hay, shredded newspaper, even soil to scratch in. Chickens love scratching.

Hello and :welcome

Glad to have you here! It's good to spend time with and chat with your chicks. It makes them more used to people, even if they might not understand the words. :p And coupled with feeding you'll have them following you round in no time :old
Soil/grass clippings is what we used. They'll enjoy finding their own insects/worms in a block of soil: but if you do give them that make sure to have grit on hand too, even though they'll probably grab that from the soil.

Phoebs: There should be a blue thingy at the top of each forum section that says "Start a new thread". Just click on that. :)

Don't hesitate to ask any questions you might have, and enjoy the site. :D

From Missouri......welcome! Mine loved hay! They were so fun to watch! I would call them each time I filled up their feeder and very quickly got them to come to me without feeding them!

Back
Top Bottom