Hi I'm new here

welcome-byc.gif
if you are looking for good layers, silkies don't do as well there but, they are great with kids and real eye candy. THey go broody so often people get them just for that reason - they put eggs under them at that time and don't need to fuss with incubators.

I am new here too, but I have heard and read good things about Auricanas - easter egg chickens, and bought two yesterday. My young flock consists of 2 Auricanas, 4 Black Australopes, 2 Rhode Island Reds, 3 Buff Orpingtons, and 2 Grey Barred Rocks. All of these chickens should be good layers and tolerant of the cold (I live in Montana). A few pics of my chicks and brooder are attached I hope (first time attaching pics in this forum). Good luck with your move to open spaces! Thanks for any input from you veterans - I haven't been around chickens in 30 years!
Our first 11, purchased Friday 3/15. The two Auricanas not purchased yet.
Look at that proud Black Australope! My boys say they look like little penguins!
One of the easter egg chicks, purchased yesterday 3/17. Has tiger markings on head.
My 2' X 2' X 8' brooder made out of scrap OSB, with practice perches. How long till I need to cover it?

Back
Top Bottom