1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Hi, I'm new to BYC

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by Colleen47, Mar 11, 2016.

1. Colleen47

Colleen47 New Egg

Mar 11, 2016
    My family and I decided to raise some chickens. A friend of ours has chickens and is going to give us some chicks.were trying to decide on a coop.we can only have three chickens in our area, so a smaller coop would do.I joined here to get helpful tips. I'm not sure where to go to see others coops, if someone could help me, thank you so much. I very excited to get going.

2. BYC910

BYC910 Overrun With Chickens

[​IMG] Go to coops forum there lots of designs in it .Also you could look at what TSC has on line check your local CL in the farm and garden section. you might find one already built that will suit your needs . best of luck with your chickens.

3. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    Actually the pre-built and coop kits are not made to stand up to weather conditions and they exaggerate greatly how many chickens can fit inside. Crowded chickens get nasty and start fighting, or feather pulling and sometimes turn to cannibalism. IN any coop you should allow 4-5 sq.feet per bird (at ground level) not counting roost poles or nest boxes., and allow 10 sg.feet per bird in the outdoor run. Some type of run cover will keep out climbers and raptors - as well as prevent your birds from flying out. You may want to check out the "chicken tractors," in the coops section.

1 person likes this.
  4. BYC910

BYC910 Overrun With Chickens

I agree don't buy one build your own just use them as a reference as to deign and stay with the sq. ft. DD said .

5. CTKen

CTKen Monkey business Premium Member

Jan 30, 2015
    Africa - near the equator
    Hi and welcome to BYC - you have some great advice already so I'll just say hello!

All the best
    CT

6. BantamFan4Life

BantamFan4Life Water Under the Bridge Premium Member

Jun 15, 2012
    Washington
    Welcome to BYC! I'm glad you joined us! :)

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by