Hi, I'm new to chickens and am going to build a coop here in Boulder, CO

Buy sexed pullets so your chance of cockerels drops dramatically.
No way would I attempt to keep chickens in a coop at 2 sq ft per bird. 4 minimum unless the run is totally predator proof then I'd do no less than 3.
Thanks, I'll work with 4sf/hen in the coop - it'll only allow for 8 hens. I'm designing it right now. I just read about poop boards, what a great idea. The coop the hens came with is only 4'x4' for 5 hens (3.2 sf/hen), they seem happy. The run will be 100% predator proof, of course if there's a will there's a way with predators but they better come with welding torches to get in (I'm a welder & planning on building it out of Aluminum).

The sexed pullets are another good idea. Ideally we'll shoot for more blue, blue/green eggs - I'll have to research if those are the type of chicks that come sexed

Thanks, I'll work with 4sf/hen in the coop - it'll only allow for 8 hens. I'm designing it right now. I just read about poop boards, what a great idea. The coop the hens came with is only 4'x4' for 5 hens (3.2 sf/hen), they seem happy. The run will be 100% predator proof, of course if there's a will there's a way with predators but they better come with welding torches to get in (I'm a welder & planning on building it out of Aluminum).

The sexed pullets are another good idea. Ideally we'll shoot for more blue, blue/green eggs - I'll have to research if those are the type of chicks that come sexed
Check out Meyer Hatchery. They sell pure breed Ameraucana, Crested Cream Legbars and mixed breed Easter Eggers and Lakeshore Eggers. All lay blue, green or olive colored eggs.

Sounds like you've done a major remodel on your house.
You really don't need to worry about cockerels from FS. I average less then 2%. The only straight run they get are meat birds and bantams. You should be able to count on 9/10 chicks making it to POL unless you have a security breech. Another good practice is to not buy all your pullets at once but to add chicks every year to keep your egg production up. Get 4 now, add 4 next year... You should still be getting decent production out of 2 and 3 year old birds once they finish molting. I have an 8 year old leghorn that still lays 3 eggs a week. She does take a long winter break but that's why you add the fresh pullets.

Back
Top Bottom