Hi! I'm new to owning chickens.

Scrabbleof4

In the Brooder
Dec 28, 2015
Avondale Arizona
Hi everyone! I have (4) 8wk old chickens. They've been living in our garage until this week when I moved them to a small chicken run in the backyard with a heat lamp for the coolest of the morning and night hours.
I was thinking of cooking some grits for them tomorrow morning, but not sure of how much to make.

Welcome to the BYC flock! We are glad you joined us!

jumpy.gif
D.gif
welcome-byc.gif
D.gif
jumpy.gif

Chickens certainly love their treats. If you do decide to feed them some grits, I would not give them much. Think of it as feeding candy to a toddler/child at this point and don't give them more than they can eat in about ten minutes.

Welcome to the BYC flock!  We are glad you joined us!

:jumpy :cd :welcome :cd :jumpy

Chickens certainly love their treats.  If you do decide to feed them some grits, I would not give them much.  Think of it as feeding candy to a toddler/child at this point and don't give them more than they can eat in about ten minutes.  

I made about a cup of grits. A couple of them sampled it, the other 2 walked through it lol

I made about a cup of grits. A couple of them sampled it, the other 2 walked through it lol

I have never given my chickens grits, but I can tell you that dried mealworms are their favorite treat. Around here it is known as "chicken crack" because they all come running when I shake the container. It's also great to hand-feed to them when you are working on taming them.

welcome-byc.gif

Here's a link to a chart of good chicken treats:
https://www.backyardchickens.com/a/chicken-treat-chart-the-best-treats-for-backyard-chickens

I'd keep the grits down to a minimum because there isn't a lot of nutritional value in them. No matter what treats you give your chickens, you'll want to keep it to 10% or less of their daily food intake so they'll fill up on their feed which provides them the nutrition they need for growing (and later on, laying).

I have never given my chickens grits, but I can tell you that dried mealworms are their favorite treat.  Around here it is known as "chicken crack" because they all come running when I shake the container.  It's also great to hand-feed to them when you are working on taming them. 

Thanks, we bought some mealworm tonight to give them tomorrow morning.

Back
Top Bottom