Hi IM new to this site and chicken raising

LynetteK

Hatching
Jan 2, 2016
Shreveport, LA
Hi My name is Lynette. I live in Shreveport, Louisiana. I am a wife, mother and grandmother as well as a college student. I am interested in getting a couple of chickens(chicks) this spring. I want them as pets and egg layers. I need to learn the basics . Is there a local chicken group that meets in the Shreveport, Bossier City area? Or close by.

I have many questions. Can you help me to be a great chicken owner.

I was thinking 2-4 chickens. I this a good number to start with for a first timer?
Also I know nothing about raising chickens. Where is the best place to learn the basics?
My husband is a good builder and can build me a coop and run area. Any info on the best plans.
Best products to buy? ( Brands and items)
What I really need and what's not necessary.
How young do I need to get them in order to bond with them and have them used to being handled?
Basic do's and don'ts for a beginner.

As I look online I am becoming over whelmed with information. I plan to start on getting the coop and run and supplies soon and the chicks in the spring.

Thanks in advance, Lynette

Welcome! this is a great site full of helpful people. when you get a chance check out the learning center, it is full of good information.
https://www.backyardchickens.com/atype/1/Learning_Center
The learning center is going to answer most of your questions. I think it even has a basic, everything first time owners need to know thread. Your state will also have a thread, just search it, there you will meet locals. But do not be afraid to ask anything you still might want to know, people will be glad to help you.
You can get newly hatched chicks at the feed store in the spring (there are also hatcheries) the chicks will need a source of heat (I used a heat lamp) constant access to water, but make sure they cannot fall in, and chick starter food.

Nice to meet you Lynnette, hope you enjoy Backyard chickens as much as we do. You can put your state name in the search box above. Through that you may find other chickeners in your area. They would be a good source of knowledge for what breeds do best in your climate, what predators are prevalent, type of coop etc. You can also visit the "Raising Backyard chickens forum," the coops section, etc.

Hi Lynette,
welcome-byc.gif

I'd recommend getting chicks to start with, they'll bond with you faster than older birds. It's a lot of fun watching them grow and learning their personalities! They all have individual personalities and quirks.

Feel free to ask questions, we were all new at some point. The Search feature (upper left, under the logo) is also a great way to find information.

Good luck!

Back
Top Bottom