Hi I'm new too...

Why not get your son his own rooster? It sounds like he might be the easiest to bring around.

Another thing you could do is hatch your own. Sometimes the excitement of a hatch is enough to make people interested.

Sometime, when your daughter's friends are over, bring a chicken (your cutest, prettiest one!) into the house. I can guarantee that one of the friends will be like, "Oh, CUTE!!!!" and want to pet it. If a friend approves, your daughter may be more accepting (you may also discover she wants to take over while the friend is there and be the know-it-all about your chickens -- just sit back and grin, because you know she has heard everything you've said to her about them). If this happens, don't harass her about it later.

Last edited:
Well i think its because there is some work involved with the chickens or poultry and thats why some young-ins don't like them..
hide.gif

Most would rather sit and play there electronic games.
barnie.gif

But don't give up on your birds, if you like them then they are your hobby to have and play with.

Of course you could always collect "your eggs" and make your self breakfast..
Then while having it, express just how good your chickens eggs taste...
Maybe they will be assimilated after that a few times of watching you enjoy your hardy breakfast..

Charlie

Keep your chin up! Like Nifty said, you do have all of us to back you up and give you the support you need.
smile.png

Quote:
Hey, this is a great idea! My daughter is such a control freak she would love it if she was the 'know it all' with her friends about the chickens. Hee...I'll have to get a silkie - maybe then she won't think they're so yucky. My cochin, Mrs. Puffs is pretty fluffy and had NO effect on her!
hmm.png
I've also been thinking about hatching some eggs, but I only have a banty roo so I don't know if he will do the job with my larger ladies. I'm also still waiting for my first egg (24 weeks and still nuthin' out of 10 hens...) so I think the wait is wearing on me. DH said he was going to put store bought eggs in the coop so I would think they'd laid...I told him I would be SO upset if he did that! Can you imagine? The first egg is like a newborn baby!

I think part of it is that I tend to be interested in a lot of things, so I guess DH has to put up with all my 'hobbies'. Besides my chickens, I like to craft, paint, turn trash to treasure (especially thrift store finds), papercraft, garden, woodwork (just learning simple things) and decorate. *whew*!

Thanks for being there - you guys are great! I'll post some pics of my chickens soon. I have to learn how to transfer the files - they seem to take forever since our computer has no hard drive space (taken up by my son's World of Warcraft.
roll.png

Back
Top Bottom