Hi, I'm new & URGENTLY NEED HELP WITH A SICK HEN...PLEASE!!!

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Selina, Nov 18, 2012.

1. Selina

Selina New Egg

Nov 18, 2012
    Since yesterday afternoon, one of my three hens has been very unwell. She has yellowish runny poop around her bottom, mostly keeps her eyes closed and seems weak. I've had her inside the house, comfortable in a nest of towels, she has managed to take some water, not eating at all. I've had the hens for about three months and they are approximately 3 years old. Unfortunately, I cannot afford to take her to the vet, I'm so worried for her. Please any advice would really be appreciated. Thanks

2. 3 Chicks

3 Chicks Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 18, 2012
    Is it possible she has had an egg break inside of her--given the yellow runny poo?

3. Yay Chicks!

Yay Chicks! Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 15, 2010
    Forest Grove, OR
    So, some questions that may help us get a better idea...

Is she the only one doing poorly?
    Has she lost weight?
    Was she laying before yesterday? Is she molting?
    What is her food source? Free range or in run?

Also, here's a poop chart, in case you can identify the kind of poop you are seeing: http://www.chat.allotment.org.uk/index.php?topic=17568.0

4. Selina

Selina New Egg

Nov 18, 2012
    Thanks for your quick reply, it could be that, if so, is there anything I can do?

5. Selina

Selina New Egg

Nov 18, 2012
    Thanks Yay chicks, good questions. Yes, she is the only one unwell. They are free range with lots of fresh water and fed laying pellets, they love rice, noodles, cat food/biscuits, grated cheese, apples, bird seed and not that keen on veges. She hasn't lost weight and is the biggest of the three, not molting and I'm unsure who has been laying or not as I've only been getting an egg a day pretty mostly since I got them.

6. Yay Chicks!

Apr 15, 2010
    Forest Grove, OR
    IF an egg broke inside her, she would be prone to bacterial infection, and would need antibiotics. I have not dealt with this, so can't give reliable advice, but if you do a search on here, you will find others who have dealt with this.

Did you check out the poop chart, in case it's not egg yolk? Could she possibly gotten into something during her foraging that might have been toxic?

7. Selina

Selina New Egg

Nov 18, 2012
    Her poop seems to be more greenish yellow on comparison to the chart. I will start searching for info on antibiotics. Thanks again.

8. Selina

Selina New Egg

Nov 18, 2012
    Sadly... she has passed away, wish there was more I could have done, her illness still remains a mystery.

9. froggiesheins

froggiesheins Overrun With Chickens

Oct 14, 2010
    Jurupa Valley, CA
    Just saw your thread, I am so sorry you lost your girl.......:hugs

10. Yay Chicks!

Apr 15, 2010
    Forest Grove, OR
    I'm sorry to hear that [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by