Hi, I'm new & URGENTLY NEED HELP WITH A SICK HEN...PLEASE!!!

Selina

Hatching
7 Years
Nov 18, 2012
Since yesterday afternoon, one of my three hens has been very unwell. She has yellowish runny poop around her bottom, mostly keeps her eyes closed and seems weak. I've had her inside the house, comfortable in a nest of towels, she has managed to take some water, not eating at all. I've had the hens for about three months and they are approximately 3 years old. Unfortunately, I cannot afford to take her to the vet, I'm so worried for her. Please any advice would really be appreciated. Thanks

Thanks for your quick reply, it could be that, if so, is there anything I can do?

Thanks Yay chicks, good questions. Yes, she is the only one unwell. They are free range with lots of fresh water and fed laying pellets, they love rice, noodles, cat food/biscuits, grated cheese, apples, bird seed and not that keen on veges. She hasn't lost weight and is the biggest of the three, not molting and I'm unsure who has been laying or not as I've only been getting an egg a day pretty mostly since I got them.

IF an egg broke inside her, she would be prone to bacterial infection, and would need antibiotics. I have not dealt with this, so can't give reliable advice, but if you do a search on here, you will find others who have dealt with this.

Did you check out the poop chart, in case it's not egg yolk? Could she possibly gotten into something during her foraging that might have been toxic?

IF an egg broke inside her, she would be prone to bacterial infection, and would need antibiotics. I have not dealt with this, so can't give reliable advice, but if you do a search on here, you will find others who have dealt with this.

Did you check out the poop chart, in case it's not egg yolk? Could she possibly gotten into something during her foraging that might have been toxic?
Her poop seems to be more greenish yellow on comparison to the chart. I will start searching for info on antibiotics. Thanks again.

Sadly... she has passed away, wish there was more I could have done, her illness still remains a mystery.

I'm sorry to hear that
sad.png

Back
Top Bottom