Hi. I'm new with a few questions:]

welcome-byc.gif
from England! Glad you joined us!!
big_smile.png
frow.gif

Hi and thanks for all the replies.
smile.png

So. My hen would lay x number of eggs and then go broody and then give up and then lay that many eggs again? After 21 days should I stop removing eggs and let her go broody? WHat happens if I keep removing them every morning? Will she keep laying or go broody on no eggs? How often do they go broody? Sorry, I'm full of questions but It does not get below zero in My location in VA. It does snow, though. THe coop is wooden and has several window. We're moving in in December so I only saw the coop and the house I'm moving into once. But, like I said, the coop is huge!

Last edited:
First and formost welcome to what is likely the best resource for information related to poultry on the web. secondly, gather the eggs daily this will help prevent the hens from going broody. Choose your laying stock carefully and this help prevent the broody behavior. many breeds have been developed that just aren't very broody at all. Choose the breed based on the climate for cold climates look for a breed that lays well in the winter, Opringtons Wyandottes etc. If it gets very cold stay to a rose comb or pea comb variety to avoid frostbite this will cuase them stop laying as well. You have a lot of choices when it comes to this pick something you like and have fun with it.

Thanks. I did the My pet chicken thing and there were about 9 results I got. I'm thinking of getting some of the following:
Australop
Delaware
Favorolles
Plymoth Rock
Sussex
wyandotte
Do you have any preferences? Which ones do you think are the hardiest and would make best pets for begginners?
Thanks

Coco

Welcome!
frow.gif

Favorelles are rare, but quite hardy

If you go with Delawares, don't go with a hatchery bird. You want the heritage Delawares, which have good / kind personalities.
wink.png

Wyandottes are charming and are fairly hardy.

Australorps (spelling?) are great layers and very hardy.

All of the birds from the "Rock" family are great layers and very hardy!

I'm not familiar with the Sussex myself, so I can't answer anything about that breed.
smile.png

Here's a link to BYC's breed chart that I think will help answer your questions and give you a good overall idea about the breeds that you are interested in.

Thanks! That link is great!
smile.png
I'm thinking the following:
Ancono
Holland
Java
Plymoth Rock
Star
I bet some of these are extremly rare and difficult to find. Do you know which ones are the most common?

Thanks

Last edited:
Stars are a sex-link, which are two breeds crossed to develop an egg producing breed. They typically lay early than standard breeds, but also give out earlier and are more prone to egg laying issues. I have 4 Golden Comets, which are close to the Red Stars and I absolutely love them because I consistently get a large brown egg from them every day.

Plymouth Rocks are also quite common and very good layers. They will start laying about 4 wks. later than the sex-link breeds, but are very hardy and will lay longer than a sex-link will. The Rocks also come in a wide variety of colors including the Barred Plymouth, Columbian Plymouth, White, Silver Penciled Rock (my favorite!), Silver Laced, Buff, Black, Partridge (another favorite!), and Blue! I'm sure I might have missed a color, but those are what comes to mind.
smile.png

Thanks. I'll get 2 Plymoth Rock hens to start with. I'll probably keep those for a month or so and see how it goes. If they do well, I will look into getting some more. Thanks for all the help and advice everyone.
smile.png

Coco

Back
Top Bottom