Hi, incubator help

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by LoriLovesLace, Jan 7, 2017.

1. LoriLovesLace

LoriLovesLace Out Of The Brooder

Jan 7, 2017
    Newnan Georgia
    My Coop
    Hi, I am new on here. I have been enjoying raising chickens and ducks. I am crazy about unique birds like olive eggers, laced feathered and other unique feathers or eggs. I was looking for a dun laced wyandotte seller. They have the most beautiful feathers. Or if anyone knows how to breed chickens to get dun lace. It looks like silver laced mixed with white.
    I have had some issues with incubation. I had many eggs not hatch, found some were very close to being ready but died right before. And the few that did hatch had curled feet. I tried to fix with vitamins you guys recommended on here and band aids on the feet also recommended on here. But nether worked all but one chick died that had curled feet. And that one had a slight case.
    I had a small bowl of water in it at all times, checked the temp with a thermometer keeping it around 99 degrees and turned them once a day. I was using a Styrofoam kind of incubator. It is near 30 years old yet seemed to keep the temp up well.

2. henny1129

henny1129 Crazy Livestock Gal

Mar 21, 2016
    Ohio!
    Hello and :welcome! I hope you enjoy BYC just as much as the rest of us do! I love all the crazy colored birds, they're so unique! :) I unfortunately don't know anything about incubating, so hopefully someone else who does can help you. :D

1 person likes this.
  3. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    I have never incubated either. But there are several "hatch a thons," going on now and the folks on there give advice and suggestions freely. You could put "Hatch A Thons," in the searchbox - it should come up.

1 person likes this.
  4. Pork Pie Ken

Pork Pie Ken Monkey Business Premium Member

Jan 30, 2015
    Africa - near the equator
    Hi and welcome to BYC - there's also the "Incubating and hatching Eggs forum".

CT

1 person likes this.
  5. Teila

Teila Bambrook Bantams Premium Member

G’Day from down under LoriLovesLace [​IMG] Welcome!

Sorry that I have no experience with incubators, just broody hens. However, I see that you have received some good starting points from Ken and Diva so I will just add that I hope you enjoy being a BYC member. There are lots of friendly and very helpful folks here so not only is it overflowing with useful information it is also a great place to make friends and have some fun. Unlike non chicken loving friends, family and colleagues, BYC’ers never tire of stories or pictures that feature our feathered and non feathered friends [​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  6. redsoxs

redsoxs Chicken Obsessed

Jul 17, 2011
    North Central Kansas
    Greetings from Kansas, LoriLovesLace, and :welcome! Great to have you aboard! I've nothing to add to the great advice you've aleady received so I'll just say best wishes and happy hatching! :jumpy

1 person likes this.
  7. N F C

N F C doo be doo be doo Premium Member

Dec 12, 2013
    Wyoming
    [​IMG]

What beautiful egg colors you have! Hope you can get your incubation issues settled. Have you tried using a broody hen? Maybe you'd have better results?

1 person likes this.
  8. mckendall

mckendall Just Hatched

I am a new member also from Northern California in the redwoods. I have a small flock of mixed breed however also looking for a quality incubator at a good price

1 person likes this.
  9. LoriLovesLace

LoriLovesLace Out Of The Brooder

Jan 7, 2017
    Newnan Georgia
    My Coop
    Thanks for all the welcomes! Does anyone know of a good hygrometer. I don't want to buy one and it not really work. I am bad about buying cheap then regretting it. Oh and I hate the ones you have to put batteries in. I have 3 kids so we already have too much stuff that keeps needing batteries.

Last edited: Jan 9, 2017
  10. mckendall

mckendall Just Hatched

I have one hen a Verysi very Broody hen, she is a silkie. I would like to put some eggs under her to hatch but have no idea what I'm doing. Would I need to put her in a separate coop? I am a carpenter and could easily build one however not sure what design to use for one hen to hatch chics any ideas?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by