Hi I've been out of the chicken game for many moons.

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by ChickNCoop4Soul, Oct 16, 2016.

1. ChickNCoop4Soul

ChickNCoop4Soul New Egg

Sep 21, 2016
    Oklahoma
    I'm beginning to buy a few breeds and my daughter is going to start showing. We are also looking to start a breeding program and selling fertile eggs.

I'm hoping someone can give me some insight so I'm not headed in the wrong direction.

At the moment I have golden nuggets, rir, sussex, sexlinks, cornish rocks, blue laced red wyandottes and white leghorns.

My plan is to use a few of these breeds for regular daily sales and other's to show as well as sell fertile eggs. I will also be purchasing a few other breeds like Phoenix, cochin, silkies, old english game birds and a few other's.

I'd love any advice anyone is willing to offer. I've been through a lot of trial and error before but I am far from knowing everything and if other's knowledge can prevent it them I'd be eternally greatful.

Thanks in advance. [​IMG]

2. Pork Pie Ken

Pork Pie Ken Monkey Business Premium Member

Jan 30, 2015
    Africa - near the equator
    Hi and welcome to BYC - great that you have joined us.

I have no experience in breeding for show etc, but certainly for the breeds you wish to show, it may be an idea to limit the number of breeds to begin with, and then expand or move on to other breeds in the future.

I'm sure other members will the appropriate experience will chip in at some time or other.

Best wishes
    CT

3. redsoxs

redsoxs Chicken Obsessed

Jul 17, 2011
    North Central Kansas
  4. N F C

N F C got coffee? Premium Member Project Manager

Dec 12, 2013
    Wyoming
    [​IMG]

Thanks for joining us and good luck with all your plans!

5. ChickNCoop4Soul

ChickNCoop4Soul New Egg

Sep 21, 2016
    Oklahoma
    Thanks for the warm welcome and the link. [​IMG]

6. BantamFan4Life

BantamFan4Life LOOK WHAT YOU MADE ME DO. Premium Member

Jun 15, 2012
    Washington
    My Coop
    Welcome to BYC! I'm glad you joined us! :)

7. CuzChickens

CuzChickens CountryChick

Apr 24, 2016
    Virginia
    Hello, and welcome to Backyard chickens! Glad you joined us, and I hope you make yourself at home here!

8. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    If you plan to breed for show & sale, you need to keep various breeds separately - so no mixed breeding occurs.

9. ChickNCoop4Soul

ChickNCoop4Soul New Egg

Sep 21, 2016
    Oklahoma
    Thanks for the welcome everyone. And yes drumstick diva, I built all of my pens before I bought my chickens so I could be prepared. I have my brood pens and boxes built as well as several chicken coops. :)

10. QueenMisha

QueenMisha Queen of the Coop

Welcome to BYC! It's great to have you.

How serious are you about showing and breeding? Are you looking to do it "just for fun", or will this be a serious project for you and your daughter? (Not that a serious project can't be fun as well... but there IS a difference)

Definitely limit the breeds to the two or even three you are most interested in. Even one project can be difficult for a beginner, depending again on how serious you are.

Be careful where you get your stock. If you take time and be patient and purchase good stock the first time around, you may well be able to raise and breed your own show winners within a few years. If you start with low quality stock you could work your butt off for ten years and still be placing last. That means you skip the hatcheries entirely and find private breeders who breed to the Standard of Perfection. You want quality, not quantity. If you really intend on showing and breeding quality stock, you need to purchase yourself a copy of the Standard of Perfection.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by