Hi I've just become a new member my name is Joanne:-)

joanneba

Chirping
5 Years
Sep 30, 2014
I have only had my chickens for two weeks now and not sure of their age but I bought 4 point of lay chickens. I've been doing some reading on this site which is wonderful but it has raised a couple of questions and I hope you might be able to help:)
They have not laid any eggs yet could this be because the coup rails are at the same height as the nesting box and should I raise them? as they do seem to be sleeping in them????
And what time scale does it take approx for them to start laying. Sorry just carnt Waite to get my first egg I'm so excited :) thanks Joanne

I have only had my chickens for two weeks now and not sure of their age but I bought 4 point of lay chickens. I've been doing some reading on this site which is wonderful but it has raised a couple of questions and I hope you might be able to help:)
They have not laid any eggs yet could this be because the coup rails are at the same height as the nesting box and should I raise them? as they do seem to be sleeping in them????
And what time scale does it take approx for them to start laying. Sorry just carnt Waite to get my first egg I'm so excited :) thanks Joanne
Hello from Central Oregon!
welcome-byc.gif

Lots of questions! Not to worry, if I can't help you there's lots of people here at BYC that can. Okay, then!

1. "Point of Lay" chickens .. Remember that your girls have just been moved to their new digs and they are stressed out! It will take them awhile to get used to their new surroundings for sure. Are they doing the "submissive squat" for you? Are you spending time with them in the run so they can get used to you? You might take a 'treat' in with you such as mealworms (their fav!) and just sit quietly talking softly to them. At first they'll most likely scatter but eventually they will come to you...this is a great bonding moment.

2. YES! Your roost bar should always be at least 18" higher than your nesting boxes. Is your roost bar a 2" x 4" laying FLAT? This is the optimum type roost bar. If you have a pre-made coop with some skinny-type roost bar...get rid of it.

3. Nesting boxes! Do NOT allow your girls to sleep in them. Why? Because they will poop in them for sure, and you don't want that. You want your nesting boxes to remain as clean as possible. You may have to pick each of them up one at a time and put them on the roost bar each night til they "get it". In the meantime, block off your nesting boxes with a piece of plywood or cardboard temporarily.

4. The old saying "patience, grasshopper" is the norm around here at BYC for new chicken mamas waiting for that first egg!!
gig.gif
Your new girls will need time to adjust to their new surroundings...it'll happen when you least expect it!

5. What type of feed are you giving your girls right now? Do you have some pics of your girls and your coop's interior that we can see???

Last edited:
I'm feeding them layer pellets and giving the greens and mixed corn &maze also grit all the latter in small amounts each day
I have attached photos of run and coup so will you tell me if anything is missing pls. They used to go to bed every night until I made the bigger run for them but now they just keep sitting on the roof and poohing everywhere as they can get to it now
[/IMG][/IMG][/IMG]

Hope you can see the images Joanne

And yes I go into the coup with them and they are a little timid but not much but I don't know what a submissive squat is
Will try taking the treats with me next time Jo

Hello :frow and Welcome To BYC! iwiw60 gave you some good suggestions. Chickens like to roost at the highest spot they can, you can try making the roosting bar in the coop higher, but with your set up, they will probably keep trying roosting on top of your coop unless you block them off of it.

Back
Top Bottom