Hi, just joined BYC after about 6 months of reading

cluckshack

Hatching
7 Years
Nov 3, 2012
Started razing chickens from eggs, for keeps this time, late last winter, '12.

About 2 years ago, I built a cooler incubator out of a 2gal cooler from Walmart. My first batch over heated and never hatched. I then made some adjustments and got several thermometers, including a plug with a heat sensor. The second batch I hatched 5 eggs out of 12. We gave the chicks away.

This year we tried again, but with the intention of keeping the birds. I found a larger cooler from Walmart, 6gal. This time I changed things up a bit, built a tilting rack I can manually tilt with a coat hanger, installed a fan, a digital meat thermometer stuck in a home made water wiggle. First attempt, I got nothing. It would seam none of the eggs were fertilized. Maybe I killed them, it's a new rig. I tried again, but this time got a dozen eggs from Crazy K Farms. Our first hatch two years ago was from them. So this time two hatched and a third needed help, but survived.

I ended up with two black hens, and a Americana(sp) rooster. He had to go after a while.

I built a coop from free one page Purina plans, mostly of new material. It's supposed to be the same color as our shed, but I only go so far as to put primer.

When we realized we would have so few birds I decided to go to our local feed store and buy some chicks. I was only supposed to bring home two. But instead I brought home 5. I liked the breeds, I wanted a verity. Also my excuse was, what if one turned to be a rooster. Nope all hens.

Anyway today, is First Egg Day. So I am pretty proud.

It' my scientific nature. A computer guy by trade, I follow directions. Alas with life, there are no real directions, just instinct. Still learning.

welcome-byc.gif
from California!

I am in California.

I had to look up chicken math. I had to laugh, my wife said we were going to get a turkey next. That's three months after I said the same thing, and she wasn't ready.

These are rewarding creatures. We sit out during sunset and watch the chickens march into the coop. Almost always, one stands in the door way and the others start complaining.

I am in California.
I had to look up chicken math. I had to laugh, my wife said we were going to get a turkey next. That's three months after I said the same thing, and she wasn't ready.
These are rewarding creatures. We sit out during sunset and watch the chickens march into the coop. Almost always, one stands in the door way and the others start complaining.
computer guy here too, you will love the turkeys

RobertH

Back
Top Bottom