Started razing chickens from eggs, for keeps this time, late last winter, '12. About 2 years ago, I built a cooler incubator out of a 2gal cooler from Walmart. My first batch over heated and never hatched. I then made some adjustments and got several thermometers, including a plug with a heat sensor. The second batch I hatched 5 eggs out of 12. We gave the chicks away. This year we tried again, but with the intention of keeping the birds. I found a larger cooler from Walmart, 6gal. This time I changed things up a bit, built a tilting rack I can manually tilt with a coat hanger, installed a fan, a digital meat thermometer stuck in a home made water wiggle. First attempt, I got nothing. It would seam none of the eggs were fertilized. Maybe I killed them, it's a new rig. I tried again, but this time got a dozen eggs from Crazy K Farms. Our first hatch two years ago was from them. So this time two hatched and a third needed help, but survived. I ended up with two black hens, and a Americana(sp) rooster. He had to go after a while. I built a coop from free one page Purina plans, mostly of new material. It's supposed to be the same color as our shed, but I only go so far as to put primer. When we realized we would have so few birds I decided to go to our local feed store and buy some chicks. I was only supposed to bring home two. But instead I brought home 5. I liked the breeds, I wanted a verity. Also my excuse was, what if one turned to be a rooster. Nope all hens. Anyway today, is First Egg Day. So I am pretty proud.