Hi! My intro

Hi! I'm Ellie. New to chickening and likewise joined. :) I have no chickens at the moment, planning to get them in the early springtime. Hoping to get Australorps and some Swedish Flower hens; just want to get some friendly hens and likewise, eggs. I'm kinda skittish about the whole neighbor thing but planning on keeping them in a A-Frame tractor in the corners of our property, away from prying eyes. I'm planning on getting about 4-5 hens to start off with; who knows where that'll go, though, according to chicken math.;) We live on almost an acre of land, just like .1 shy of an acre, which is awesome and pretty rare for the suburb we live in. We have an extensive garden covering almost half of the property.
I also love music, painting, writing, gardening especially, reading, hiking, biking... I won't continue, haha.
I'm the eldest child in a family of 7. Now I know that means not quite a lot of eggs per person in household per week but I need to start somewhere. The whole thing is still quite a novelty to us. We have two cats (looking for suggestions on keeping hens safe from cats, btw? ;-) ) and I work at... let us say, a fast-food restaurant famed for chicken and "My Pleasure". Ha!
I found this site by just searching random things about hens and up your forum came. I think it'll be so helpful! Can't wait to get to know y'all!
À plus tard,
Ellie
Oh Ellie what a great intro. You smartie pants.! You will learn lots here for sure. Check out which breeds are best for your climate, ( do not go by looks) make sure you make a run and coop secure from cats. And make sure to tell us where you are so we know what climate us like. R.E. I'm in SW Neb.
I actually do have slot of feral cats here so my run is securely covered with chicken wire. No free ranging here, some folks have to deal with lots of predators so there's lots of ways to keep gens safe just plan for it . Also oversize run and coops ...less behavior and illnesses that way. I'm rambling sorry it's late here but welcome so glad you joined us.

This is Intruder. A feral kitten that found her way into my chicken run/coop. As you can see my ladies don't mind one bit. She gets her share out of the snack tray. If the ladies think she has had enough they will give her a peck. I live in town we have a lot of wild and domestic animals in the yard.Cats mostly walk away.View attachment 2967111View attachment 2967113
That is so cute! :jumpy:loveHa! Well I guess I'll have to see with my own cats. They are trainable, in ways.

Oh Ellie what a great intro. You smartie pants.! You will learn lots here for sure. Check out which breeds are best for your climate, ( do not go by looks) make sure you make a run and coop secure from cats. And make sure to tell us where you are so we know what climate us like. R.E. I'm in SW Neb.
I actually do have slot of feral cats here so my run is securely covered with chicken wire. No free ranging here, some folks have to deal with lots of predators so there's lots of ways to keep gens safe just plan for it . Also oversize run and coops ...less behavior and illnesses that way. I'm rambling sorry it's late here but welcome so glad you joined us.
Thank you @Happy hen lover !! Okay so I'm in Northern Kentucky. Forgot about that detail. Zone 6a, last frost is Mother's day. (All gardening information, lol, not sure if that's revenant.)

Hi! I'm Ellie. New to chickening and likewise joined. :) I have no chickens at the moment, planning to get them in the early springtime. Hoping to get Australorps and some Swedish Flower hens; just want to get some friendly hens and likewise, eggs. I'm kinda skittish about the whole neighbor thing but planning on keeping them in a A-Frame tractor in the corners of our property, away from prying eyes. I'm planning on getting about 4-5 hens to start off with; who knows where that'll go, though, according to chicken math.;) We live on almost an acre of land, just like .1 shy of an acre, which is awesome and pretty rare for the suburb we live in. We have an extensive garden covering almost half of the property.
I also love music, painting, writing, gardening especially, reading, hiking, biking... I won't continue, haha.
I'm the eldest child in a family of 7. Now I know that means not quite a lot of eggs per person in household per week but I need to start somewhere. The whole thing is still quite a novelty to us. We have two cats (looking for suggestions on keeping hens safe from cats, btw? ;-) ) and I work at... let us say, a fast-food restaurant famed for chicken and "My Pleasure". Ha!
I found this site by just searching random things about hens and up your forum came. I think it'll be so helpful! Can't wait to get to know y'all!
À plus tard,
Ellie
Welcome it’s a great site for “chicken lovers” lol. You will find lots of support here.

Welcome To BYC
61n52p.gif

Back
Top Bottom