Hi my name is Ashneel, Auckland, NZ

Ashneel08

Hatching
Dec 14, 2015
I recently invested in a pair of egg-laying hens so I have developed an interest in keeping them happy and enjoying the experience of having fresh eggs. At this point in time, my pullets are around 18-20 weeks of age and haven't reached POL yet, but I believe they are due around xmas/new year. I've named my hens Nandos & Peri-Peri as they go well together and really cheeky! Anyway, I look forward in sharing my experiences with members of this site, as well as learning along the way!

Cheers,
Ashneel

I recently invested in a pair of egg-laying hens so I have developed an interest in keeping them happy and enjoying the experience of having fresh eggs. At this point in time, my pullets are around 18-20 weeks of age and haven't reached POL yet, but I believe they are due around xmas/new year. I've named my hens Nandos & Peri-Peri as they go well together and really cheeky! Anyway, I look forward in sharing my experiences with members of this site, as well as learning along the way!

Cheers,
Ashneel

Welcome to BYC! Glad you joined the flock. Please ask any questions you may have and we'll try to answer them. What breed of pullets did you get? Most pullets begin laying their first egg around 24 weeks of age. But some breeds will start earlier than that.

I believe they are brown shavers? Here's a rough pic

Last edited:
I've heard of the name Red Shaver. Reminds me of the Golden Sexlink. I just did a quick Google look and it sounds similar to the Golden Sexlink but there could be details I'm missing. Sexlinks tend to be great egg layers.

Hi Ashneel and a warm welcome to BYC. I am no expert but I've not come across that breed. They look a bit like a commercial breed to me. Either way I hope that you enjoy being a member of our community.

Ct

Cheers for the welcoming folks. Anyway, I was wondering.. Are there any clear pointers/signs on when a hen is about to lay her first egg? Just outta curiosity

Last edited:
Cheers for the welcoming folks. Anyway, I was wondering.. Are there any clear pointers/signs on when a hen is about to lay her first egg? Just outta curiosity

There are a few. When the comb and wattle get bright red they are getting close to laying and sometimes pullets will squat because they want to breed and if they're laying about to lay eggs they will sometimes want to breed. Those are two signs that I've seen with my girls.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom