Hi ~ my name is Bobbi and here is my chicken story :-) 7/4/11

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by BBsChicks, Jul 4, 2011.

1. BBsChicks

BBsChicks In the Brooder

Jul 4, 2011
    Rocklin, CA
    [​IMG] My daughter (30, firefighter, doesn't live at home) decided "we" needed chickens. On May 4, 2011 we brought home 6 fuzzy baby girls; two Buff Orpingtons, two Rhode Island Reds, and two Black Lace. We kept them in the downstairs, bath size, shower stall with a rubber tub and warming light. Soon they decided the tub was too small and were making a chick mess of the stall. I used a giant cardboard box in the garage with a mesh top, pine pellets, the warming light, an auto waterer and separate feeder. I added a roost and they were in pig heaven. I took them out back when it was warm enough, they foraged and they grew faster than I thought they would so I started the cadillac coop. It is 8' X 4' X 4': 4' X 4' of secure coop above half of the cage. That makes 4' of head space in 1/2 the cage and 2' of head space below the coop that is shaded. We live on a 1/2 acre and they are out and about approximately 4 hours each day. We use pine shavings, they have water indoors and out, they're still eating organic Purina Mills Start and Grow and they get first dibs on our compost.

2 buffs: Grace Kelly and Marilyn Monroe. 2 silvers: Audrey Hepburn and Sophia Lauren. 2 reds: Rita Hayworth and Ginger Rogers [​IMG]

I built 100% by myself and it is the first thing I ever built! There are mistakes but it is easy to clean, stays dry, they get fresh air inside or out, and it is safe & secure for them day or night. They go upstairs by themselves just before sunset and I just lock it down.

[​IMG]

2. Desert Rooster

Desert Rooster El Gallo Del Desierto

Sep 4, 2010
    Hesperia, Ca
    Hello [​IMG] from Hesperia,CA and [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

3. Leia's Chickens

Leia's Chickens A Sunkissed Delight

Jun 20, 2010
    Oklahoma!
    [​IMG] from Oklahoma [​IMG] ! Nice coop. [​IMG]

4. dawg53

dawg53 Humble Premium Member

Nov 27, 2008
    Jacksonville, Florida
    Welcome to BYC. We think alike,"easy to clean, stays dry, fresh air, safe and secure, lock down." Excellent job!

1 person likes this.
  5. Fluffy2

Fluffy2 Chirping

May 21, 2011
    SF East Bay, CA
    Very Impressed! Yes, you got all the basics fast! You will be a good chicken herder! [​IMG]
    Fluffy 2

1 person likes this.
  6. jujubee

jujubee Feather Hill Farm

Mar 3, 2011
    I have had chickens for years and your first built looks beter than anything I have done! ( I am constructionally challenged so I have to pay men to build coops for me) Anyway job most well done..you will be a great chicken keeper. Welcome from SE Ohio BTW [​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  7. NonnasBabies

NonnasBabies Muddy Acre Farms Premium Member

Sep 20, 2009
    On the Farm!
    [​IMG] & [​IMG] from Louisiana! Very nice coop you made there!! [​IMG]

1 person likes this.

8. weimarmama

weimarmama Crowing

Jun 4, 2010
    Alabama
    My Coop
    [​IMG] & [​IMG] from Alabama. I love your chickens' names [​IMG] Nice coop, too [​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  9. ghillie

ghillie Hen Pecked

Nov 13, 2008
    Colorado Springs, Co
    [​IMG]

10. Hollychic11

Hollychic11 In the Brooder

Apr 20, 2011
    Canonsburg PA
    [​IMG][​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by