Hi, my name is Liz, and I'm a chicken addict.

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by Eliza1313, Apr 2, 2015.

1. Eliza1313

Eliza1313 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 26, 2015
    I have already fallen prey to chicken math. So I started out wanting chickens a few years ago, but my Grandma beat me to it. She decided she had to have some when she saw them at chick days at TSC. I now have what remains of her flock, 3 Easter Eggers and 2 unknown brown/red pullets (most likely a sex-link breed). They are all about 3 or 4 yrs old now.

Decided I would get some other breeds this spring. Ordered 24 chicks; 6 each of: Silver-penciled Egyptian Fayoumis, Barred Holland, Blue-Red Cubalayas, & Black-breasted Red Cubalayas. I picked those up from the hatchery myself. Then the next day picked up some French Guinea keets at a local feed store that came from the same hatchery. We also decided we wanted to get some meat birds, and I wanted some of the more colorful keets. We were thinking of placing an order for the summer. However one of the Barred Hollands was not doing well once I got them home, don't think it would have survived if they had actually been shipped. Thought we had gotten it past the rough bit but it passed away a couple of days ago. So while out getting feed for the grown hens yesterday I picked up 6 more chicks from TSC. 4 are Black Cochins and the other 2 were just labeled as broilers. TSC usually marks the Cornish Rocks they get in as such, these look suspiciously like them, but I got them anyways.

So that brings me to 5 hens, 29 chicks and 8 keets. Oh yeah, and all the little ones were straight runs.

2. Kelsie2290

Kelsie2290 True BYC Addict Premium Member

Feb 18, 2011
    Ohio
    Hello :frow and Welcome To BYC! Good luck with the new chicks! Does sound like a good case of chicken math!

3. BantamFan4Life

BantamFan4Life LOOK WHAT YOU MADE ME DO. Premium Member

Jun 15, 2012
    Washington
    My Coop
    Welcome to BYC! I'm glad you joined us! :)

4. Wyandottes7

Wyandottes7 Overrun With Chickens

Jul 24, 2013
    Welcome to BYC, Liz! I'm so glad you joined our community.[​IMG]

It's always easy to fall prey to chicken math.[​IMG] Sounds like you have a wonderful variety of chickens (and guinea fowl)! I've never raised guinea fowl before, but they sure seem like interesting birds.

Good luck with your ever-growing flock!

5. Chicken Girl1

Chicken Girl1 Loving the Autumn Weather Premium Member

Mar 3, 2015
    Virginia
    Hello Liz [​IMG]and Welcome to BYC!

Last edited: Apr 2, 2015
  6. Yorkshire Coop

Yorkshire Coop Moderator Staff Member

Aug 16, 2014
    Yorkshire, UK
    My Coop
    Hi :welcome

Glad you could join the flock! Sorry to hear you lost a barred Holland :hugs The chicken math really does seem to have taken a hold of you. It can be a very gripping thing!! I have never raised guinea fowl but we have a couple down at the stables and they are great at raising the alarm. Wishing you the very best of luck with your flock in the future.

Enjoy BYC and all the chicken chat :frow

7. mymilliefleur

mymilliefleur Keeper of the Flock

Nov 4, 2014
    East Tennessee.
    Hello and Welcome to BYC! Chicken math gets the best of us! I almost came home with some extra chicks today, it was a close call, lol.
    Feel free to ask any questions you may have!

8. Michael OShay

Michael OShay Chicken Obsessed

May 14, 2014
    Montana
    Welcome to BYC. Glad you decided join our flock. Don't feel bad. Very few BYC members are immune to chicken math. :eek:) Please feel free to ask any questions you may have. We are here to help in any way we can. Good luck with your flock.

9. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    Nice to meet your Liz. With so many chicks coming from many places, it's possible the one that died might have carried some disease. Hopefully the others will not be affected. It would be good if you knew some history on the birds, as to any worms, mites, lice, vaccinations.

10. sunflour

sunflour Flock Master Premium Member

Jan 10, 2013
    Macon,GA
    [​IMG] Glad you have joined us.

So sorry about the loss and best wishes for the rest.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by