Hi ! Need young rooster or two in CT.

JoeOxfordCT

Songster
12 Years
Oct 13, 2007
Oxford, CT.
Hi,

I did not know where to post this. I looked in the for sale thread but there were no listings for CT.

I have 14 hens, most about 8 months old and starting to lay. A few are Marans that are a year older than the others. Most are from a My Pet Chicken order from last July. I had ordered a Jersey Giant rooster but I'm afraid I got all girls. I need a roo or maybe two (how many for 14 girls ?) two keep the girls together when they range about my yard. While I have plenty of cover for the birds to hide under, (even in this time of the year) we do have hawks.

I don't want to start a roo from a chick but I don't want someone's old grandpa rooster either.
hmm.png

I live in CT. and will drive, within reason to pick up the birds.

Please PM me if you can help,

Thanks,

Joe

Joe,

Have you looked on craigslist? Round here folks are always trying to give away extra roos. I have a couple I need to rehome myself; if only we were closer!
big_smile.png
I have a darling 23 week old BO who displays wonderful instincts in protecting his girls. I also have a lovely 23 week old Welsummer. He seems to be a little behind the BO but he's starting to catch on but the girls adore him! I have an amazing RIR mutt roo so I can only keep one of the youngsters. It's gonna be a tough choice!

Good luck in your search!
Laura

There are 2 folks on craigs list in CT selling birds one has orpington roosters if I remember right... I think I have the link saved here some place......

http://newyork.craigslist.org/fct/grd/1604419289.html Here it is. They are in shelton. I dont know them or ANYTHING about them. I just remember seeing the add while browsing for critters of my own

Last edited:
One rooster is probably the best as two will eventually work it out to where one controls all. A young one could sound good, but a roo that is 2-3 years old wouldn't necessilarily be bad either, and if he grew up with girls, should know how to treat them better vs a 6 month old hormone driven feather pulling juvenile that should grow out of it eventually.

That said, a roo is no guarantee that he will keep the girls together. He'll probably hang around and follow the girls where they go, but I find that small groups or even single girls do wander off in the middle of they day to do their own thing. They are most flock like in the morning and evening when perch and first food negotiations go on. Just imagine your current flock with a rooster chilling with the largest group of girls.

Since you do have an established flock, be sure to quarantine any new arrival.

Wow....I'm a Craiglist virgin I guess....never thought to look there.....Shelton is only 20 minutes away too...
tongue.png

However, somebody PM'd me and brought me a wonderful EE Roo who just settled in yesterday.
smile.png

I will certainly check Craigslist in the future should I need anything.

Thanks !

Joe.

Back
Top Bottom