Introducing young birds

Chic-keyLady

Chirping
Aug 21, 2023
Hey chicken elders! Sorry I tried to make this post quick but it's still kind of drawn out.

I'm raising some chickens here and want to introduce them to the rest of the coop, but I am worried about bullying.
(I have a summary at the bottom of you don't want to read everything)

I'd like to start off with, the Roo is kinda friendly but cautious. Same with the 2 Jersey Giants. They are however fine with my Easter eggers. The Wyandottes on the other hand are friendly and approachable, but they don't like my Easter eggers.

I have 3 Easter Eggers I picked up while at the Tractor Supply who are familiar with the other birds and are docile. They're 4 weeks old, but for now are still living in a dog cage inside my house.

I also have 4 Faverolles that are 2 weeks old and haven't met any of the other birds. I was wondering if I could put them in with the Easter Eggers to get aquatinted before transitioning them to the large coop. I was thinking that way it'll maybe offset the power dynamic...

The Rooster and Jersey Giants are fine with the Easter eggers, so it just comes down to the Wyandottes. Will 8 Wyandottes try to wage war on 7 new birds? Can I put my Faverolles in with my Easter eggers when they're 2 weeks apart in age?

Summary: I want to introduce my 3 Easter Eggers and 4 Faverolles to 8 Wyandottes. How should I start introducing them?

Any advice is much appreciated!

You can't just put them all together with the bigs. I'd go ahead and introduce the two sets of chicks, they should be fine together, just be sure to monitor them to make sure there is no excessive bullying. After you get them sorted, I'd move your large dog crate to the coop and have everyone in there for 1-2 weeks, so they can all see each other, but not touch. Do you have enough room in your run to section off an area for the littles during the day? Pics of your setup may help with some more ideas.

You can't just put them all together with the bigs. I'd go ahead and introduce the two sets of chicks, they should be fine together, just be sure to monitor them to make sure there is no excessive bullying. After you get them sorted, I'd move your large dog crate to the coop and have everyone in there for 1-2 weeks, so they can all see each other, but not touch. Do you have enough room in your run to section off an area for the littles during the day? Pics of your setup may help with some more ideas.
Hey sorry it took so long to reply. I thought about your suggestion and decided to go ahead and turn the chickening office into a separate area for the Easter Eggers. It's all a part of the same coop though. Once the Faverolles are old enough I will take their crate out a few times and introduce them to the Easter Eggers with treats for some positive reinforcement before moving them permanently. And I have some pictures though they are dark so it's a little hard to see...

PXL_20231007_231258007~2.jpg

Attachments

• PXL_20231007_231240267~2.jpg
    PXL_20231007_231240267~2.jpg
    469.5 KB · Views: 6

Back
Top Bottom