Hi!! New chickens.. and I haven’t a clue lol

And then I’m assuming it’s gonna be a heck of a lot easier to heat it in the winter time because the peak is so high I can put a heater in there now here’s one question do I put the roost higher than the nesting boxes? I’m assuming yes so should the nesting boxes be on the ground or elevated up a little bit? And then do I need to put in flooring which is fine because there’s no floor attached In the house

What is your climate like? Heating for chickens is very dangerous, and unless you get below -10 in the winter I would not provide heating.
Roosts go higher than the nest boxes to keep the chickens from sleeping in the nest boxes.

No floor is OK, as long as you have a good thick litter on the floor.

Because your play house is 3.5x4 I would try to make the nest boxes external if you could.

Here’s another question I am thinking they’re going to need more ventilation should instead of walling off The back window opening all the way should I leave space in there for ventilation and just put chicken wire doubled up over it so they get ventilation or do you think having the front door chicken wired would be adequate I wanna make sure no animals get in there

What is your climate like? Heating for chickens is very dangerous, and unless you get below -10 in the winter I would not provide heating.
Roosts go higher than the nest boxes to keep the chickens from sleeping in the nest boxes.

No floor is OK, as long as you have a good thick litter on the floor.

Because your play house is 3.5x4 I would try to make the nest boxes external if you could.
I live in Michigan. It can get cold. But I do have a solar light bulb? I can figure out how to Put the nesting boxes outside in fact as I’m looking at it I think it’s definitely possible here’s a picture of what I’m thinking. So I would basically just put a box the width of that shelf coming out of the “window area“ where the little fake grill is, box that in with a hinge door? Will one nesting box be good or do I need 2? I can do it on the other side as well? and if I put it there then the box would be 20 inches off the ground... Well I need to put a ladder going up to the nesting box in order for them to get to it?

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    714.5 KB · Views: 1
Here’s another question I am thinking they’re going to need more ventilation should instead of walling off The back window opening all the way should I leave space in there for ventilation and just put chicken wire doubled up over it so they get ventilation or do you think having the front door chicken wired would be adequate I wanna make sure no animals get in there

I live in Michigan. It can get cold. But I do have a solar light bulb? I can figure out how to Put the nesting boxes outside in fact as I’m looking at it I think it’s definitely possible here’s a picture of what I’m thinking. So I would basically just put a box the width of that shelf coming out of the “window area“ where the little fake grill is, box that in with a hinge door? Will one nesting box be good or do I need 2? I can do it on the other side as well? and if I put it there then the box would be 20 inches off the ground... Well I need to put a ladder going up to the nesting box in order for them to get to it?

Ventilation is tricky in such a small space. I agree that it's important. If the back opening is the same size as the front, what I would do is block off the top half of either side so when the birds are roosting they are out of any draft or wind, leaving a couple feet of ventilation for air exchange on either side. In an ideal world you would have the ventilation above the chickens and under the eaves, but it's better to have them out of any drafts than to have the vents higher up IMO.

Unless you're hatching eggs, the chickens should be able to jump up 20" into the nest boxes and down safely, especially if you have a few inches of good soft bedding in the bottom. You might want to put a bar in front of them a few inches lower that makes it easier for them to jump up onto but mine jump 3' nearly straight up onto my roost bars in my coop. I would consider two nest boxes just because your birds breeds are on the large end, but also my nest boxes were about 1.5' squares and were PLENTY big so you may be able to do two nest boxes on one side and just screw some plexiglass in on the other side, giving them some light through the window.

I live in northeast Ohio, so only a little bit warmer than you, and I've never heated my coops, nor had any serious problems. (Some light frostbite on the biggest chicken comb that went away without incident.) If you do want to heat your coop, use a sweeter heater or something similar, not a lamp. I also don't do artificial lighting as I think the winter rest is important for them, and I treat eggs as a seasonal food as a result, but that's a personal choice.

Back
Top Bottom