Hi! New from Indiana

Serenashome

Chirping
Feb 3, 2016
Indiana
Hello all, I've been reading through this site as if there might be a test later. Lots of fabulous ideas and really good advice. So glad I stumbled upon you all.

We have 2 1/2 acres, a 16 tree fruit and nut orchard, a 42' by 50' raised bed garden, 4 beehives and soon we will have chickens. Oh I should mention the 18 year old "hunting" dog and two cats too.

Right now we (the husband and I) are in the middle of a great debate about how to create a chicken moat around the garden.

A fence surrounding the garden that is essentially a chicken run. it would allow them to clear the ground, eat the bugs and essentially protect the garden from insects and weeds for me.

I know what you mean. Some folks bend the chicken wire to form an upside down U shaped tunnel of sorts, so the birds can move around your garden without eating the plants.
After harvest the chickens are allowed into the garden beds to till them over and eat any veggie scraps they can find.

Hi and welcome to BYC - its good to have you onboard. I wish you all the best with your chickens and do keep us updated!

All the best
CT

Welcome to BYC. Glad you decided to join our flock. I've seen a few chicken moats over the years. They are a great idea but fairly expensive to build due to the large amount of fencing required, especially if the garden they're surrounding is a large one. If you haven't done so already, definitely check out our Learning Center at https://www.backyardchickens.com/atype/1/Learning_Center. There is lots of useful information there. Please feel free to ask any questions you may have. We are here to help in any way we can. Cheers.

Back
Top Bottom