hi new from PA

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by chickdogcat48, Mar 12, 2009.

1. chickdogcat48

chickdogcat48 New Egg

Mar 12, 2009
    hi all this is my first time raising chickens well im not raising them yet cause i wanted some advice first. im 13yrs old and im in middle school.i obviosly live with my parents. also i have a brother that lives a very shot distance away. he has 2 cildren under 3 yrs old and they visit a lot so i have to keep them in mind. i did research and was thinking about the buff orpington. im not sure whether t "buff" part is just the color or if it actually matters in tempermant. i was looking at those because they supposedly have good temperment, cant fly, and lay ok. my brother and i were talking about this and thougt that mabe 2 or 3 hens would be a reasonable number. I was also wondering about climate. would they be ok for our winters. when should i and where could i get these chickens. would it be best to get them a chicks or eggs and hatch them myself? how would i hatch them at home if i choose that way? what do i have to feed them as chicks and as adults? is there any specific time to feed them. like i said im in school so i leave at 7:30 and get home at 6:00 because of sports. i go away on weekends alot and i was wonderin what i should do if my brother isnt around to look after them. should i insulate their coop for the winter? for the people who wanted to know where i am im in wyoming county. any suggestions or comments or anything helpful would be nice thank you. just no comments on grammer plz;)[​IMG]

Last edited: Mar 15, 2009
  2. B. Saffles Farms

B. Saffles Farms Mr. Yappy Chickenizer

Nov 23, 2008
    Madisonville, TN
    [​IMG] from TN

3. redoak

redoak Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 27, 2008
    Russia, NY
    [​IMG]

My 6 buff orpington hens are very friendly and cold hardy. I'd get at least 3 hens.

4. Cats Critters

Cats Critters Completely Indecisive

Last edited: Mar 12, 2009
  5. digginchicks

digginchicks Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 15, 2009
    Sullivan, Indiana
    [​IMG] from INDIANA [​IMG]

6. Eggzactly

Eggzactly Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 8, 2008
    marietta
    welcome to the site

7. n-da-woods

n-da-woods Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 18, 2009
    North Carolina
    Hello and WELCOME ot BYC from NC.

8. The Chicken Lady

The Chicken Lady Moderator Staff Member

Apr 21, 2008
    West Michigan
    [​IMG]

Glad to have you here! [​IMG]

9. patyrdz

patyrdz The Madd Hatcher

Feb 26, 2009
    Southern Pines, NC
    Welcome from North Carolina![​IMG]

I have heard that the Bo's are really sweet and beautiful. I do not have any, but I will be getting some soon![​IMG]

10. [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by