Hi new here and have no clue what to do but I want chickens LOL

LOL well I think most of us started that way. I DUNNO ANYTHING ABOUT THEM BUT I WANT CHICKENS!!!

Some chicks can be sexed at birth, suck as Barred Rocks I believe.

I have 5 pullets that just started laying and 5 2.5 year olds and I get way too many eggs. I would say 5 would be a good number for you. But hatch rates are not guaranteed, so maybe get 10 or 12 and if you end up with extras, sell them locally. Better to have too many than not enough seems to be a lot of forum members mottos LOL!!!

Welcome to the crazy world of chickens.

Hi,
And welcome from Ky!!! For a good consistent source of eggs leghorns or sexlinks is probably your best bet. A friend of ours said about 6 is perfect. I made a mistake when I started last year and bought, bought, bought chickens then started hatching and it got out of control really fast ended up with almost 50 before selling and giving away. Now I have started over and when I'm done I will only have about a dozen(not just for us got family, friends, and neighbor wanting some). Here is a link to Hendersons breed chart that gives you a little info each about several different breeds, an approximate amount of eggs per week and egg color/size. Of course not all girlys follow the standard estimate and may lay more or less than said or egg may be larger or smaller. http://www.ithaca.edu/staff/jhenderson/chooks/chooks.html

Good luck, happy to have you aboard, and stay warm throughout this storm blowing through this week!

Cindy

We are expecting 5-8 inches here.

welcome-byc.gif
from Missouri
frow.gif

Books and more books. Keeping Chickens by Barbara Kilarski is the first book I read, but there are many others that are helpful. If all you want are eggs, sex-linked chicks might be a good place to start. Helps eliminate the possibility of ending up with roosters you don't want. I have three and get about 14 to 19 eggs a week - shades of brown and medium to extra large in size.

Good luck and have a lot of fun.
big_smile.png

Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha
lau.gif
Ha Ha Ha
lau.gif

Only wants 4 chickens!
gig.gif

I started with 6 about 25 years ago, now I have over 100!
ya.gif

They are SOOOOO addicting!!
love.gif

welcome-byc.gif
yippiechickie.gif
frow.gif
jumpy.gif

I have 40 more eggs in the incubator!!
celebrate.gif

Last edited by a moderator:

Back
Top Bottom