Hi, new member here from west Texas

Carenm

Songster
10 Years
Nov 16, 2009
Midland, TX
Hi there. I am in Midland, TX. We don't have our chickens yet but our brooder is ready to go and our coop just needs a few finishing touches. Never had chickens before and I came to this site to learn everything I can, boy have I learned a lot. We hope to get our chicks in the next month or so and start our journey.

When you first started out what helpful advice do you wish you received ? Any words of wisdom?

Hi and a big welcome from Ellis County, Texas!
welcome-byc.gif

I'm pretty new around here myself but I can tell you that you will get some great info from the folks here! If you want to find out about breeds and advice just
do a search and you will have a wealth of info! I'm learning all I can here before we get our first chickens in the spring. Good for you for finding this great
place and people and congrats to you on your upcoming feathered family additions!
clap.gif
I'll be anxious to see what advice the veteran chicken folks here will have for ya.
smile.png

Welcome to BYC !!
woot.gif

I am also from Texas, Central/East area, near Bryan/College Station.

I see that you have been a lurker for a while. Great way to learn. I did the same.

My chicks arrived on 9/2 of last year, and they are our first. Still waiting for their first eggs.
pop.gif

I had only planned on maybe 6 or 8, but currently have 24, want more, and still don't have a clue yet what to do when all of the eggs start arriving.
Guess I will cross that bridge when I get there !

Hi Carenm, welcome to BYC! Can't think of one piece of advice per se but I do wish I'd had better equipment the first time out and I wish I'd known about the deep litter method sooner.
tongue.png

Welcome!

I thought the guide at My Pet Chicken was great. They also have a really good breed selection tool that is fun.

I asked my questions to BYC members as they came up. The members here are great.

One word of advice... the number of posts is not a reflection of chicken knowledge. 1500 posts of "great job", "cute fuzzy butts!!!" doesn't make you an expert. Don't get me wrong... I really appreciate that part of this community and you will love to get posts from members when you complete a project or when your chicks arrive! (I know I do!) I suggest you find some members that you trust and go with your gut on most issues.

Good Luck! You have a lot of people here that are pulling for you!

Back
Top Bottom