Hi! New member here! Help please?

Quote:
Oh, thank you for all the advice! I really appreciate you taking your time to type out everything. C:

Hi, I live in Thailand, so slightly north of where you are and there is no chance of your chicken getting cold.
I have been to Malaysia many times and Singapore too and the weather is similar to ours, although you may be wetter than us.

Uncooked rice is fine for chickens, it's a lot less messy and doesn't attract so many ants as boiled or fried. If you have a garden, let her out, she will find most of her own food. If you do have a garden (and your parents don't mind the thought) stack a few peices of old wood on top of each other and wet them, within a few days you will have a termite colony living in them (keep it away from the house), when you open it up your little chicken will attack the termites with delight. Corn is OK for them too but cracked corn is easier for them to eat.
Vegetables and fruit are also tasty treats.

If you have geckos in your house, you can whack them with a towel or cloth or fly swatter and she'll eat them too, once she gets a taste she'll hunt them down.

Eating 'people' food is also fine, all our food scraps and left overs go to the chickens, what they leave behind (bones usually) gets thrown in the pond for the catfish.

She looks like what we would call a 'Gai Baan', a house chicken (not the house chicken Americans know as a pet) but a non-farm chicken, not too far removed from wild junglefowl mixed with domesticated stock.

Cats can be a problem at any time of the day. If you want to keep her outside (and they do smell a bit if you keep them in the house) then you will need to make a secure cage for her - it doesn't need to be much, can you buy the fighting cocks bamboo cages we have here, like the small plastic covers they put over condiments in restaurants but bigger? They are perfect for one chicken. Here is a picture. If you put a piece of bamboo across the middle your chicken can sit off the ground.
3401542482_3635479b17.jpg

Last edited:
Quote:
I too thank you for your response Oven Ready. I was wondering if you would speak up with your special insight from your corner of the world.
smile.png

Back
Top Bottom