Hi, new member in NC

That would probably take a pretty long time to do. I'd guess at least 3-4 generations to get a decent specimen. If you use White Leghorns you'll have to breed out the Dom white they carry, and then deal with whatever pattern they're hiding and get lacing back into the pattern while maintaining laying ability. If you did do it, you'd do best to cross GLW/SLW cock to a White Leghorn hen, then cross the F1 pullets back to the original cock, and again with F2 and so on. F1 would be all white/gold (or silver) leakage, but F2 you'd see 50% non white and be able to select the best laced from those. By generation three or four, with good selection, you'd have a genetically "laced" bird, but the lacing would still be messy (see: recent hatchery SLWs who I am 95% sure this exact thing has been happening to) and you'd have to pay very close attention to the pullets you select to see any real difference in egg production.
wow, helpful post! Yeah, I guess it was more of a fantastical thought than I would definitely do it, but if I ever need a breeding project, that will be it.

wow, helpful post! Yeah, I guess it was more of a fantastical thought than I would definitely do it, but if I ever need a breeding project, that will be it.

It would be a nice bird for sure. Breeding definitely takes a lot of dedication! Right now I'm about to embark on a cross that, according to the chicken calculator, has about 2,000 possible outcomes, exactly 1 of which I'm interested in. I'm not saying don't do it, but definitely don't underestimate how much of a project it would be!

It would be a nice bird for sure. Breeding definitely takes a lot of dedication! Right now I'm about to embark on a cross that, according to the chicken calculator, has about 2,000 possible outcomes, exactly 1 of which I'm interested in. I'm not saying don't do it, but definitely don't underestimate how much of a project it would be!
I hear ya. chicken calculator???

welcome-byc.gif

I hear ya. chicken calculator???

Oh man, the calculator is so much fun! You can find it here: http://kippenjungle.nl/kruisingCQ.html

It's a genetics calculator that allows you to "cross" birds and see the outcomes. If you have genetics knowledge you can input genes directly, or if you do not, you can use the "Browse Male" and "Browse Female" tabs to select a color pattern and it will input the typical genetic makeup of that color for you. It's not accurate to life 100% of the time but its really useful for both getting a general idea of possible outcomes as well as learning basic genetics (an important part of breeding for sure).

Oh man, the calculator is so much fun! You can find it here: http://kippenjungle.nl/kruisingCQ.html

It's a genetics calculator that allows you to "cross" birds and see the outcomes. If you have genetics knowledge you can input genes directly, or if you do not, you can use the "Browse Male" and "Browse Female" tabs to select a color pattern and it will input the typical genetic makeup of that color for you. It's not accurate to life 100% of the time but its really useful for both getting a general idea of possible outcomes as well as learning basic genetics (an important part of breeding for sure).
OMG!!! This is awsome!!! Thx!

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom