Hi, new member in NC

GingersHuman

Songster
Sep 23, 2016
NC
Hi everybody! I've been lurking for a while, and finally decided to join.

I now have 17 chickens, which include 2 roosters (a Bantam and a white Leghorn/ Wyandotte cross), 2 black Australorps,a white Leghorn, 3 Bantam hens, an Araucana, a couple mixed breeds, 3 new day-old half cochin chicks, and 3 new hens I picked up today. (I've started a thread to decide which breeds they are.)

Also have a dog, 4 cats, and 2 horses.

Hello there, and welcome to Backyard Chickens!!! I would love to see a picture of your Wyandotte/Leghorn mix, I have been thinking about doing that combo and see what happens. Thank you for joining us and I hope you have fun!

Hi :welcome

Glad you could join us here! What a lovely mix of breeds you have there. I'm sure with all your other animals too they must keep you very busy. Be sure to ask any questions that you may have, everyone here to help and very friendly.

Enjoy BYC and all the chicken chat :frow

Hello there, and welcome to Backyard Chickens!!! I would love to see a picture of your Wyandotte/Leghorn mix, I have been thinking about doing that combo and see what happens. Thank you for joining us and I hope you have fun!

Here he is, he's young, he'll be 18 wks Sunday. His name is Smudge
1f60a.png

He's pretty leggy so far. And he continues to get more color as he gets older.

Welcome to BYC! It's great to have you.

@CuzChickens I've had one of those too! He was GLW X Leghorn. Looked about the same as @GingerHuman's except the comb was MUCH bigger. I called him meathead because it was so ugly. The comb was bigger than his head. Other that he looked like a White Leghorn with some gold in the wings.

Hmmm, I am just thinking trying to combine the excellent traits of the white leghorn as a egg layer with the beautiful lacing of wyandottes.

Hmmm, I am just thinking trying to combine the excellent traits of the white leghorn as a egg layer with the beautiful lacing of wyandottes.

That would probably take a pretty long time to do. I'd guess at least 3-4 generations to get a decent specimen. If you use White Leghorns you'll have to breed out the Dom white they carry, and then deal with whatever pattern they're hiding and get lacing back into the pattern while maintaining laying ability. If you did do it, you'd do best to cross GLW/SLW cock to a White Leghorn hen, then cross the F1 pullets back to the original cock, and again with F2 and so on. F1 would be all white/gold (or silver) leakage, but F2 you'd see 50% non white and be able to select the best laced from those. By generation three or four, with good selection, you'd have a genetically "laced" bird, but the lacing would still be messy (see: recent hatchery SLWs who I am 95% sure this exact thing has been happening to) and you'd have to pay very close attention to the pullets you select to see any real difference in egg production.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom