Hi, new member with a poorly chicken šŸ” can anyone help?

Suec83

In the Brooder
Oct 18, 2021
Hi, I'm new to posting on this group but have always found it useful with finding advice. I started keeping chickens just over 3 years ago and still have my original flock with no previous health concerns however one of my goldlines was attacked Wednesday afternoon by a cat and has not been right since and I'm at a bit of a loss what to do.

I had let my girls out the run into the garden as they love rummaging through the bushes and I have done this for the past 3 years no problems. I ran out when I heard a lot of noise and saw the cat jumping over a fence into the road. One of my hens who happens to be the most inquisitive and normally runs towards me i couldn't find. I eventually found her in a bush, just standing still, no feathers missing or any lying around so I didn't think the cat really got hold of her and there were no injuries that I could see. I coaxed her back into the run with mealworm (her fav treat) she was eating fine and closer inspectiono still no injuries seen. After eating though she went and stood in a corner. In the evening I had to go in and put her on the roost bar!

Thursday morning she was down and moving slowly and stiffly in the run, saw her drinking and she had a few pecks of pellets(not much) she then went into the nest box and was there for a couple of hours. No egg laid. She did a little bit of scratching around but stood still a lot but at least eating and drinking a little and she went up to roost on her own. I thought she was just in shock maybe. Same story on Friday but then on Saturday she wasn't interested in her fav treat food and looked more puffed up and was spending a lot of time sitting on perches in the run. Sunday she spent all day standing in front of the auto water dispenser and I didn't see her move from the spot all day and she was always taking gulps of water. Picked her up in the evening and her crop felt full and squishy and breath a little bad so I thought maybe sour crop along with shock... Monday morning(today) picked her up and her crop felt flat no squishy lump. Was it just all the water she had yesterday making her crop feel squishy the day before?

Her poop isn't normal. No solids. Its liquid clear with pale yellow and white and its just small squirts every now and then. Pic attached. It's normally a little yellower than this when fresh but not bright yellow. Will try and get a fresh poop pic..

She looks very depressed and no interest in anything other than drinking water and she's just standing in the same spot. She hasn't laid an egg since Wednesday morning. I know chickens can get depressed after a shock but worried i haven't seen her eat since for at least a day. Any ideas what might be wrong with her?

Attachments

• 20211018_081551.jpg
    20211018_081551.jpg
    858.2 KB · Views: 6
  • 20211018_081959.jpg
    20211018_081959.jpg
    1,006.6 KB · Views: 2
  • 20211018_081643.jpg
    20211018_081643.jpg
    668.6 KB · Views: 2
  • 20211018_081841.jpg
    20211018_081841.jpg
    415.6 KB · Views: 2
  • 20211018_081814.jpg
    20211018_081814.jpg
    737.2 KB · Views: 2
:welcome :wee:ya:yesss: Hello and welcome to BYC, You found an Amazing Poultry Community to be a part of with many great knowledgeable members, who are more then willing to jump in and help you along your journey with any questions you may have. :)

Sorry to hear about your girl, I am sure she is in shock and pretty traumatized over the whole event. I am no expert, but maybe you could give her some electrolytes to help her. Best of luck. :)

Welcome to BYC. It sounds as if she had a fright and is traumatized. I like @416bigbore 's idea of giving her electrolytes.
I'm not sure what else you can do but continue carrying for her, as you are doing. She may not lay for several weeks. If she begins losing weight, it may be more problematic.
There are some very knowledgeable members who monitor our emergence forum. If she continues to worry you, with her behavior, you may want to start a thread there.
In the meantime, you may try feeding her some scrambled eggs. I haven't seen many chickens turn those down. Good luck to you and your hen. Please keep us updated.

:welcome :wee:ya:yesss: Hello and welcome to BYC, You found an Amazing Poultry Community to be a part of with many great knowledgeable members, who are more then willing to jump in and help you along your journey with any questions you may have. :)

Sorry to hear about your girl, I am sure she is in shock and pretty traumatized over the whole event. I am no expert, but maybe you could give her some electrolytes to help her. Best of luck. :)
Thank you and for the advice i will give that a go. She's attached to the auto water dispenser so I'll try covering and use the plastic hanging one I have instead

Welcome to BYC. It sounds as if she had a fright and is traumatized. I like @416bigbore 's idea of giving her electrolytes.
I'm not sure what else you can do but continue carrying for her, as you are doing. She may not lay for several weeks. If she begins losing weight, it may be more problematic.
There are some very knowledgeable members who monitor our emergence forum. If she continues to worry you, with her behavior, you may want to start a thread there.
In the meantime, you may try feeding her some scrambled eggs. I haven't seen many chickens turn those down. Good luck to you and your hen. Please keep us updated.
Thank you. I'm going to try the electrolytes and I'll give scrambled eggs a go, the not eating is really worrying me!

Have you checked her belly below the vet for fluid build up?
If she wasn't injured by the cat I think that she may be suffering from something entirely unrelated that was exacerbated by the stress of the attack.
No i haven't, I did check around her vent after the attack and yesterday and that's clean and no visual injury. I'll check again later and have a feel. What might it be if there is fluid build up there?

Back
Top Bottom