Hi, New Member

SummerStorm93

In the Brooder
Jul 28, 2018
Hi everyone, I'm Sunshine.

I grew up with chickens out on the west coast, in the San Juan Islands. Every year or so, we bought 25-50 chicks from Murray McMurray, raised them up, and canned them. We'd leave a few to make eggs for us... But most of them were Rhode Island Reds destined for the soup pot. We also had goats and sheep and various times (Pygmies and Jacobs).

Other than livestock, I enjoy gardening and various kinds of art. I take care of a few people's yards/gardens for them, and occasionally sell a piece of weaving or some painted silk.

We don't currently have chickens, no thanks to the HOA, but I'm pretty much constantly daydreaming about building a new coop, and working out convoluted plans for sneaking chicks into the neighborhood. I don't think any of my neighbors would actually mind, considering the kid down the street keeps accidentally letting his rabbits out. And, the guy up the hill offered to let me use his empty lot.

Hi & Welcome to BYC..
FARMER-CONNIE-CROSS-ROAD-V1.gif

I grew up with chickens out on the west coast, in the San Juan Islands. Every year or so, we bought 25-50 chicks from Murray McMurray, raised them up, and canned them. We'd leave a few to make eggs for us... But most of them were Rhode Island Reds destined for the soup pot. We also had goats and sheep and various times (Pygmies and Jacobs).

Other than livestock, I enjoy gardening and various kinds of art. I take care of a few people's yards/gardens for them, and occasionally sell a piece of weaving or some painted silk.

We don't currently have chickens, no thanks to the HOA, but I'm pretty much constantly daydreaming about building a new coop, and working out convoluted plans for sneaking chicks into the neighborhood. I don't think any of my neighbors would actually mind, considering the kid down the street keeps accidentally letting his rabbits out. And, the guy up the hill offered to let me use his empty lot.
A lady I got my silkies from lived in a HOA. She had chickens, dogs, and goats. If she could do it so can you :)

:wee:welcome

Hello there and welcome to BYC!:frow

I am so sorry you have to work with the HOA. I've never had to deal with them or anyone else on poultry laws. So I do feel for you. I do hope you can get some chickens soon! However, lots of members here on BYC keep "house chickens" in areas they can't keep chickens. I couple of "house hens" that pad around the house, some wear diapers, others have their own spaces in parts of the house. Chickens do make wonderful house pets!!

Good luck and welcome to our roost! :)

Do you have an active HOA?

Can you work on changing the rules. Also, if the city or county you live in allows them, It is hard for the HOA to restrict them. The higher level law supersedes the lower one

Back
Top Bottom