Hi! New to BYC :) ...a few questions

Purple House

Songster
Dec 14, 2016
Kentucky
Hi everyone

New member from Kentucky here! I've been lurking on the forums for months and decided it's time to join.

In June I got day old chicks from Whitmore Farm. Now I've got 18 chickens: 13 Welsummers who have started laying wonderful dark brown eggs, 1 Delaware who lays almost an egg a day and 4 Ameraucanas (3 roos and 1 pullet who hasn't started laying yet). On Friday I'm picking up three 2 week old cream legbar pullets! Getting my brooder ready tomorrow.

I'll keep the legbars separate for quite a long time, any advice on when to start introducing them to the flock? I've got a wire dog kennel I plan to put them in, inside the coop. Or are there better suggestions?

Looking forward to hatching out some of my own Ameraucanas in the spring and I want to start breeding olive eggers as well.
Nice to be posting instead of just reading at BYC
smile.png

G’Day from down under Purple House
frow.gif
Welcome!

The wire kennel is a good idea for the ‘look not touch’ integration method.

I use this method and keep them separated in this way for at least a week.

Do you free range at all? I let the existing flock out for a free range while the newbies are locked in the coop and run. This gives the newbies the opportunity to explore and feel comfortable in what will be their new home without the threat of being picked on and also learn where all the good hiding spots are.

Same with free range, but reversed; I let the newbies wander around the garden while the existing flock are locked in. Granted, the existing flock have a good whinge about this ;) but again, it gives the newbies chance to explore, get settled and find all the good hiding spots without being picked on.

I find that free ranging is a good opportunity to let everyone get to know each other .. space is a great tool when integrating.

I also find that a water pistol comes in handy .. it is amazing how a squirt of water in front of them can cause a chicken to change her mind about picking on someone
wink.png

There will probably still be bickering while the pecking order reestablishes itself when they are integrated, but it should not be quite as brutal.

Also, when they are integrated into the run and coop, for a couple of months I ensure that there is more than one source of water and food, just in case the newbies are being bullied away from either.

I hope you enjoy BYC. There are lots of friendly and very helpful folks here so not only is it overflowing with useful information it is also a great place to make friends and have some fun. Unlike non chicken loving friends, family and colleagues, BYC’ers never tire of stories or pictures that feature our feathered and non feathered friends
wink.png

A lot of info Teila, thanks! I might start free ranging my chickens in the spring. It's too cold now to watch them, I do have some Pyrenees puppies who will hopefully be guarding them.

I'd never have thought of a water gun to train them with
thumbsup.gif

welcome-byc.gif

Teila has given you some great tips. Thanks for joining us, it's nice to have you here!

Hello there, and my warmest welcome to Backyard Chickens! I am so glad you decided to join the community and I do hope you will make yourself at home here! :frow

Thanks for the warm welcomes!

I got my new chicks today, ended up getting five instead of three
big_smile.png
Oh happy day!

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom