Hi, new to chicks

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by glenda75, Sep 26, 2013.

1. glenda75

glenda75 New Egg

Sep 26, 2013
    Hi, nice to meet u all.. I have just entered the world of chicken, I have 5 Isa brown chicks that are now one week old and I love them!!
    One of the chicks had developed dark grass seed like colour and shape through her neck, there are small fluffy feathers on the end so I'm wondering if this is what happens when feathers come through? Also the same chick can now fly out of the 94L big plastic tub I'm using as a brooder, usually she perches on the edge but this morning woke me with the noise of having flown out and sitting in the floor, I'm worried this could happen while I'm out and she could be out from the heat lamp for hours.. Any ideas? Perhaps chicken wire over the box? There is a 100w heat lamp sitting over it so have the heat and fire hazard concern. Thanks I look forward to learning from your experience :)

2. dwalters

dwalters Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 23, 2013
    Southern Michigan
    If she can fly out, she can find her way back in if she's cold:) I have a four week old goes in and out all day. Just curiosity.

3. BantamFan4Life

BantamFan4Life LOOK WHAT YOU MADE ME DO. Premium Member

Jun 15, 2012
    Washington
    My Coop
    Welcome to BYC! [​IMG]

4. Mr MKK FARMS

Mr MKK FARMS Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Sep 27, 2012
    Welcome to BYC! Glad you joined us! [​IMG]

5. liz9910

liz9910 Overrun With Chickens

Apr 8, 2012
    Northern California
  6. Teri Metcalf

Teri Metcalf Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 22, 2013
    College Station, Texas
    Welcome from College Station, Texas. When we got our first 5 chicks, one of them was much more eager to fly and explore than the others. Turns out she was a he.

7. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    [​IMG] In chick terms, one week old chicks need more heat than 4 week olds. So you don't want her roaming around on the floor. and getting chilled. I wouldn't expect her to figure out where she came from and fly back inside. Put a wire top on the brooder. Good luck with your chicks.

8. sumi

sumi Égalité Staff Member

Jun 28, 2011
    Rep of Ireland
    Welcome to BYC [​IMG] Glad you joined us!

9. glenda75

glenda75 New Egg

Sep 26, 2013
    Thanks, I will definitely put wire over the brooder. Gosh I hope I don't have a boy as I can't keep one in suburbia, I got chicks from a hatchery who say they sex them so fingers crossed!!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by