Hi - New

Muford

Hatching
5 Years
Jul 9, 2014
Hi. I'm just getting started raising backyard chickens with my son. I have a few questions, probably dumb questions to ask. First, thinking about going with Barred Rock. Is this a good choice, thoughts? Second, what kind of bedding/shavings work best? I have read to stay away from pine and cedar but I also see that's what alot are using. My other is concern is Salmonella. I've read several articles about it and recently seen stuff posted about it TS. Should I be concern? I also have dogs that are part of the family. They don't have access to the chickens but will have access to the areas they roam. Should I be concern with them getting sick or picking up any diseases? Sorry, these are probably silly questions/concerns but I am a rookie. Thank you all for your patience. I'm sure many questions to come...

Hello there and welcome to BYC!
frow.gif

First thing you might want to do is stop by our learning center. Lots of helpful hints on many of these subjects along with other good articles on all the aspects of keeping poultry...

https://www.backyardchickens.com/atype/1/Learning_Center

Barred Rocks are a nice breed to keep. Hardy, docile, friendly and great layers too. Any of the Orpington breeds are great as well.

You can use pine shavings, just not cedar. Cedar is hard on the respiratory system. You can use sand as well. I am a huge fan of sand and it is all I use everywhere. Grass hay will work, but they do tend to eat it. Same with alfalfa. Straw tends to mat when it gets wet, so it is the least desirable.

Sallmonella comes from uncooked chicken or uncooked eggs. It can be present on freshly hatched chicks. So always wash your hands after handling chicks and always cook your meat and eggs and you will never have an issue.

As for the dogs...most dogs see chickens as dinner. It doesn't matter if they are as sweet as a button, they want to eat chickens. So you will do best if you keep the dogs confined or the chickens in a run. There are many many threads in our emergency section every week on how "the dog ate my chickens". So just be careful.

Most diseases are "host specific" and so what chickens have, the dog can not get. Same with your diseases not being transferred to your chickens or dogs.

Good luck on this new journey you are on!!

Welcome to BYC! TwoCrows has given you some advice and a good link to get you started. Black Australorps are another great breed that are hardy, docile, and friendly and are even better layers than the Barred Rocks and Orpingtons. TwoCrows and I both raise Black Australorps (I also have Buff Orpingtons and have had Barred Rocks in the past). Whatever breed you decide to get, good luck with your flock.

I have 7 hens they are approx. 20-22 wks old. They will not go in the coupe at night. They are roosting on my deck and pooping every where. Why wont these birds go in the coupe

To get our birds to know the coop was 'home base' we kept them inside it for a few days without letting them out, and then after letting them out we physically put them in every night. Now they go in on their own

I did the same thing kept them in there for a few days. Before letting them out. And I used to keep shavings down in their coop. I changed to hay and they went in fine for a few nights. Now I literally can'tget them to go in for nothing. I've tried food etc..and they r very skittish so i can't get them to come to me to catch them.

I did the same thing kept them in there for a few days. Before letting them out. And I used to keep shavings down in their coop. I changed to hay and they went in fine for a few nights. Now I literally can'tget them to go in for nothing. I've tried food etc..and they r very skittish so i can't get them to come to me to catch them.
weird! I am sure someone who is more knowledgeable about this sort of thing will chime in with some ideas. Has it been very hot? Maybe its cooler on the porch?

Welcome to BYC!! Please make yourself at home and we are here to help.

X2 on the advice given by Two Crows.

Barred Rocks are a wonderful breed of chicken. Just be warned they can be a little aggressive to other chickens of a different breed. Opringtons are another awesome breed too.

Cedar is toxic to chickens. Stay clear of it. Pine shavings is the best. Look for big pieces as the smaller kind is very dusty and can cause respiratory problems. I have to disagree, though, with using hay as it is generally wet/moist which causes bacteria and mold to grow causing sickness in chickens.

Yes, Sallmonella is caused by eating raw eggs. It can be caught by humans and chickens. Prevent against it by thoroughly cooking your meat and eggs, washing your hands immediately after handling or dealing with chickens, pitching cracked or very messy eggs and, of course, keeping your flock healthy. If your chickens get it, then be sure to feed them lots of sage as this fights off salmonella and is calming to them. Ways to help prevent it in chickens include: Having shoes which you only wear in the chicken living quarters. (This will help keep diseases, which you can pick up other places on your shoes, at ease.)

Be very careful with dogs. Some dogs will stay away from them, others will protect them and others see them as an instant meal. Here's a link about dogs and chickens.
http://www.fresh-eggs-daily.com/2012/11/basic-chicken-etiquette-for-family-dog.html

Please feel free to ask any other questions; we'd love to help
smile.png

Back
Top Bottom