Hi! Opinions welcome!

clucknpeck

Songster
7 Years
Mar 15, 2012
F
Hi everyone! I'm new here and I am getting my first chicks on Saturday! My family and I just moved into a house that sits on an acre so we have plenty of room for chickens and after much research we are diving in. We are getting 15 hens. My sister is going to help because she wants chickens but lives in a private neighborhood where she can't have them, so we will pretty much be splitting, costs care and eggs. I figure I can sell some eggs too, and my neighbors are all on board for that idea.
I was wondering if some of you could tell me what you think of my breed choices? We are getting 5 breeds, three of each-
Welsummer, Brahma, Ameraucana, Faverolle, and Australorp.
We have a young daughter so we wanted mostly docile breeds. We also live somewhere that gets in the 90s in the summer and below freezing in the winter.
How do you think my breed choices will work?
Thanks!

Last edited:
Hello and welcome from Ohio....glad you joined.. I have Black Australorps and love their big brown eggs. Can't give much input on the other breeds other than I love them all. Good luck with all your new chickens.

Welcome from Louisiana!
frow.gif
Sounds like some good breeds you chose!
thumbsup.gif

Thanks for your responses :)
I have kind of a dumb question...
Does brahma colour make any difference? I can get the buff, light, or dark and I have no idea which to get.

Greetings from Maryland! Welcome to BYC. I'm always one of those people that will take a couple of those, a few of these, and some of them.... like M&M's, with chickens, I love variety.

Hello and welcome from Western Kentucky. I hope you will enjoy your new hobby, the eggs and the experience of doing something together.

welcome-byc.gif
thumbsup.gif

Back
Top Bottom