Hi thanks for allowing me to join

AshliMal

Chirping
Jul 5, 2021
We have a small flock of 4 backyard chickens, silkies to be exact. We are in the middle of suburbia and they just amended city by laws to have backyard chickens. We have a tiny yard and a big chicken run!

we have had them for approx 2 months two from one farm and two from another. All as young hens. We just started introducing the girls this week and it is going well.
But oh my goodness this is so much more than I thought it would be. Lice, Mites, sneezing (all cleared up now), worms, and one prolapse (the farm exchanged that hen out for another). I feel like we have been through the ringer.

(1) Are you new to chickens / when did you first get chickens?
Answered that above!!

(2) How many chickens do you have right now?
(3) What breeds do you have?
silkies

(4) What are your favorite aspects of raising backyard chickens?
Their little personalities.... except for Marge ... Marge needs to get her life in order and stop telling everyone what to do! 😂

(5) What are some of your other hobbies?
miniatures, home design, canning and preserving, quilting

(6) Tell us about your family, your other pets, your occupation, or anything else you'd like to share.
I am a stay at home mom.
We have a bunny named Ted Bun (the kids named him and had no knowledge of any infamous serial killers)! And two young boys ! Who adore these four chickens but after one of them had a prolapse, they keep asking if the other chickens are going to “Keep their bums on the inside” 😆

(7) Bonus: How did you find BYC, how long have you known about BYC, and what made you finally join our awesome community? :D

After googling every single thing I could think of, BYC kept coming to the rescue with answer after answer!
Thanks for adding me!!!

Attachments

• 3D4D2199-9EFA-4860-B1DC-AFA844D722B9.jpeg
    3D4D2199-9EFA-4860-B1DC-AFA844D722B9.jpeg
    525.7 KB · Views: 6
Congratulations on being able to have chickens and on getting silkies! Sweet photo! I keep thinking I need to add some silkies, then realizing I need to STOP getting more chickens (of course, I won't).

Sounds like you got a quick introduction to a number of challenges -- and managed to keep your sense of humor. Good for you!

Welcome to you, your flock (and even that bossy Marge :D ). Glad you've found BYC useful. Hope to hear more from you in the future.

Hello and welcome to BYC! :frow

Sorry for your rough start, lots of us began that way. But once you get things under control, the fun of chicken keeping can begin. Beautiful photo of your Silkie, fun breed to keep! Welcome to our community!

Back
Top Bottom