HI there fellow chicken lovers

Artume

In the Brooder
Sep 16, 2020
(1) Are you new to chickens / when did you first get chickens?

I am new to chickens, but not new to caring for animals and wild birds. I have even had many strange pets like owls, blue jays, and a wolf from rescuing anything that needed help. Most of them got rehabilitated and released or went to sanctuaries. I also am part of a community garden that has chickens, so my children and I had some experience with feeding the chickens and gathering eggs there.
Re: our own chickens: Finally got my first 4 chickens in April 2020, 2 more in September, and 8 more on the way in December.

(2) How many chickens do you have right now?

(3) What breeds do you have?

1 Buff Orpington, 1 RIR, 1 Speckled Sussex, 1Black Australorp, 1 Snowy Easter Egger, and 1 Black Splash Easter Egger

(4) What are your favorite aspects of raising backyard chickens?

They are lots of fun, great for the children to be around, and wonderful for eggs!

(5) What are some of your other hobbies?

Well, I work too hard for hobbies these days, but they include gardening, horseback riding, painting, music, cooking, making herbal remedies and knitting.

(6) Tell us about your family, your other pets, your occupation, or anything else you'd like to share.

I have 2 little girls. We have 6 chickens, 1 dog, 2 (indoor) cats, and some buffalo .... maybe goats soon. We have a small homestead and grow most our own veggies and also alfalfa and hay for local ranchers and farmers.

(7) Bonus: How did you find BYC, how long have you known about BYC, and what made you finally join our awesome community? :D

Google search led me to BYC. It was very useful to read posts prior to purchasing our chickens. I have been reading posts here for about a year. I joined the community because as a new chicken mama, I may sometimes need advice from those who are more experienced. Thank you!

(1) Are you new to chickens / when did you first get chickens?

I am new to chickens, but not new to caring for animals and wild birds. I have even had many strange pets like owls, blue jays, and a wolf from rescuing anything that needed help. Most of them got rehabilitated and released or went to sanctuaries. I also am part of a community garden that has chickens, so my children and I had some experience with feeding the chickens and gathering eggs there.
Re: our own chickens: Finally got my first 4 chickens in April 2020, 2 more in September, and 8 more on the way in December.

(2) How many chickens do you have right now?

(3) What breeds do you have?

1 Buff Orpington, 1 RIR, 1 Speckled Sussex, 1Black Australorp, 1 Snowy Easter Egger, and 1 Black Splash Easter Egger

(4) What are your favorite aspects of raising backyard chickens?

They are lots of fun, great for the children to be around, and wonderful for eggs!

(5) What are some of your other hobbies?

Well, I work too hard for hobbies these days, but they include gardening, horseback riding, painting, music, cooking, making herbal remedies and knitting.

(6) Tell us about your family, your other pets, your occupation, or anything else you'd like to share.

I have 2 little girls. We have 6 chickens, 1 dog, 2 (indoor) cats, and some buffalo .... maybe goats soon. We have a small homestead and grow most our own veggies and also alfalfa and hay for local ranchers and farmers.

(7) Bonus: How did you find BYC, how long have you known about BYC, and what made you finally join our awesome community? :D

Google search led me to BYC. It was very useful to read posts prior to purchasing our chickens. I have been reading posts here for about a year. I joined the community because as a new chicken mama, I may sometimes need advice from those who are more experienced. Thank you!
20201109_231642.jpg

Back
Top Bottom