Hi there- from GA!

claysterfarm

Hatching
7 Years
Oct 25, 2012
My husband, son, and I have had chickens for about a year, and we still have a LOT to learn. It seems like we learn something new every single day. We care about each and every chicken, so it's a big deal if one of them gets sick and/or dies. It's such a good feeling to treat a chicken if it gets sick and to nurse it back to perfect health. We've been lucky in that respect, though. Our chickens are basically very healthy-- probably because they are spoiled. Haha. We have more chickens now than we have ever had before, but we've expanded and built more coops; so they all still have plenty of room. Let's see... We have six silkies (five white and one splash blue, if that's how it's put), three bantam cochins (male and female-black, and one beautiful blue hen), four barred rocks (unfortunately, it appears that we have three roosters and one hen. Just our luck!). We also have seven seramas (two of which are GORGEOUS little roosters), one half silkie/half serama (believe it or not, she is lovely), a boy and girl black copper maran, and one male wheaten maran that I wish someone would take off my hands!! I am accustomed to having sweet, docile chickens, so I really don't like the way the wheaten rooster behaves. He spreads his wings out and seems aggressive, although my husband said he stops acting that way if you just gently push him away and let him know he can't do that. He bit me once, so I won't go near the marans anymore. It's sad, too, because I really like Tim and Raven, the other two marans. I would like to find a home for King Arthur (the wheaten maran) and buy several blue maran hens (at whatever age... they could be really young as long as we know that they are going to be hens). Finally, we have four tiny, tiny babies that were just "born" yesterday. Our blue silkie sat on all of the eggs (she would sit on eggs nonstop if we let her), but two of the babies are black cochins, and the other two babies are seramas. They are solid yellow at this point, but I'm sure you know how that goes. We have no idea how their colors will evolve. The tiny just-born cochins already have hair all over their feet. Cute! We don't have an incubator at this point, but we may get one later on. Our one maran hen lays dark, dark brown eggs. I suppose that is WAY too much detail. I should have just said hi, but I thought I'd go ahead and put it out there, in case anyone cares! Is anyone selling any blue maran pullets? Most importantly, would anyone out there like to adopt a mean Wheaten maran rooster? Haha. :)

ab4a3b6ffa9c5224e8d94f1bf069309e835bf44ada39a3ee5e6b4b0d3255bfef95601890afd80709da39a3ee5e6b4b0d3255bfef95601890afd80709a4b3225a1483568630b9.png
. You might find Blue Marans Pullets in the "Buy Sell Trade" section of BYC.

Hi there! Welcome to BYC from Kentucky. Congratulations on those new baby chicks. It sounds like you have a wonderful assortment of chickens. We just had one silkie hatch out 15 young'uns last week.

Back
Top Bottom