Hi there! My girls were just released into their run for the first time!

NelliesFlock

In the Brooder
Jul 11, 2021
Hello! I’m Nell

Excited to become part of this famous little group. Here are my girls being released for the first time and some bonus pics.

50704789-37F2-437B-AFA2-D26A03721921.jpeg

(1) Are you new to chickens / whenn did you first get chickens?

This is my first time.

(2) How many chickens do you have right now?

I currently have 15. Ordered 12 thinking I’d end up with 10 and got three “contingencies”. 😅

(3) What breeds do you have?

My flock is currently divided oddly between, Black Silver laced Wyandotttes, Barred Rocks and Australorps.

(4) What are your favorite aspects of raising backyard chickens?

This journey started with my quest to find a cheaper, organic fertilizer. Then I got caught up with just how easy and fun chickens could be. Here I am!

(5) What are some of your other hobbies?

Some of my other hobbies include crochet, boating and recently camping!

(6) Tell us about your family, your other pets, your occupation, or anything else you'd like to share.

I have two dogs, Lady and Dexter. They’re my 4 legged children. I take pride in their manners as I used to be a dog trainer on the side. My career is in Construction Management of Life sciences.

(7) Bonus: How did you find BYC, how long have you known about BYC, and what made you finally join our awesome community? :D

The YouTube channel, Oak Abode, put me here! :)

And here is a question for you guys - what is your BEST tip for raising healthy chickens?

It's amazingly easy to fall in love with chickens, isn't it? I bet you've already taught Lady and Dexter to respect the new additions.

Your girls look both eager and a bit nervous about taking that first step into the big, wide world. Sounds like a pretty mixed flock; I especially have a soft spot for Barred Rocks as one of my original flock was a sweet BR.

My best tip for healthy hens is to always keep them as safe from predators as is humanly possible. My BR and two of her coop mates were killed when I forgot ONE time to make sure their coop door was secured. Years later, I still take a second -- and often a third -- look around at night to make sure everyone is locked safely inside their coops.

Welcome to BYC! It's a great place to learn about, share stories about and just plain enjoy all things chicken!

Hello, Nell, and welcome to BYC! :frow Glad you joined.
Be expecting some cockerels if you got extras.

I have no single best tip for tip for raising healthy birds. Feed them a complete feed with 18-20% protein for life, give them plenty of clean fresh water, keep the coop dry and extremely well ventilated, give them a minimum of 4 sq ft of space per bird each with a foot of roost space in the coop and give them 20 sq ft of space in the run/pen and make sure the run is constructed so that nothing can get at them. Chicken wire will do absolutely nothing to secure a chicken. Make sure they have lots of places to dust and sun bathe and have lots and lots of perches and objects in the run for them to fly up on and dig around.
For you: poop boards will be your very best friend! :love

Hello and welcome to BYC! :frow

Cute photo! 💗 You have been given some wonderful advice! The only other thing I would add is, spend as much time as possible observing them. Not only just for fun, but you can learn SO much over time what is normal, what is not, when "Lucy" looks off or "Gertrude" is acting slow, etc... Get to know their personalities and habits. Handle them often too, pick them up, carry them around, towel them and lay them on their backs in your lap, look at their feet, etc...At some point in their lives they may need some medical treatment and having them comfortable with being handled will be less stressful on them.

Enjoy your flock and welcome to ours!

It's amazingly easy to fall in love with chickens, isn't it? I bet you've already taught Lady and Dexter to respect the new additions.

Your girls look both eager and a bit nervous about taking that first step into the big, wide world. Sounds like a pretty mixed flock; I especially have a soft spot for Barred Rocks as one of my original flock was a sweet BR.

My best tip for healthy hens is to always keep them as safe from predators as is humanly possible. My BR and two of her coop mates were killed when I forgot ONE time to make sure their coop door was secured. Years later, I still take a second -- and often a third -- look around at night to make sure everyone is locked safely inside their coops.

Welcome to BYC! It's a great place to learn about, share stories about and just plain enjoy all things chicken!
Thank you so much for the warm welcome!

Funny that you mention the dogs and their training around the chickens… it took Dexter (a black lab) 3 attempts with the electric fence until he “learned” to stay clear of the girls. He then refused to leave our deck. Today is a new day… 😅.

Back
Top Bottom