Hi there! Newbie here :)

Nunie

Chirping
Jan 26, 2016
Sweden (for now!)
Hi everyone! My name is Nikki! I come from Long Island but I lived in North Carolina for 7 years before moving to Sweden 3 years ago. Sorry if that was hard to follow, lol! I currently live in Sweden, but plan to move back to the US in another 2 1/2 to 3+ years from now. I currently have 2 boy kitties, a snowshoe and the prettiest brown tabby.

I've always loved seeing chickens in fairs on Long Island and on peoples farms everywhere. We raised chicks from eggs once in my class in grade school and also at a library I worked at later in my 20's. I absolutely adored the baby chicks.

I figured it's time to join here because I've literally been talking off ANYONE's ears (mom, sister, fiance, people I met on a game on the internet) who will listen to me about chickens for weeks!
lol.png

I've been entertaining the thought of raising backyard chickens for a while now! Don't get me wrong though, I know there's a lot more to it than hatching chicks and cuddling them. I plan to have a nice spacious coop and big run - the best I can get for my money and space that I'll have in my future yard!

I'd like to get a small assorted flock of hens, I'm not really too concerned about having the "best egg layers", as much as I am concerned that the breed is known to be sweet and gentle. I won't be culling my old gals when they stop laying consistently, they will always be looked at as pets in my little flock. :) I don't have anything against other people who cull or anything, more power to you! I love eating chicken, I just wouldn't eat my own chicken! lol

Right now I'm leaning towards a small flock of around 4-5 ladies. But I've noticed, even before having a single chicken, just in the process of picking out the breeds I'd like to get, chicken math really does add up!
hu.gif

The breeds I'm mostly looking into right now are as follows: Ayam Cemani (so gorgeous), Blue Laced Red Wyandotte (really pretty hens!), Swedish Flower (they come in so many colors and patterns!), Cream Legbar (pretty and those beautiful blue eggs), Blue Ameraucana (again blue eggs, and I LOVE the splash color variation!) Of course I'd have no guarantee of pulling the blue splash color though, could be black, could be blue, lol! I imagine more chicken math will come into play when my Blue Ameraucana doesn't turn out in the right color. ;)

I've also really fallen in love with Seramas. From what I've seen they seem to really bond with their caretakers, and I love that they're so tiny! I'd love to keep some in a big chicken/rabbit run in perhaps a screened-in porch, then let them out a bit when I can watch them. They seem more vulnerable to prey since they're so tiny! I'd keep a rooster and some hens if I had those. Those tiny rooster crows are just to die for! I hear they're a bit harder to raise though, than other chickens.

Oh well, there's my huge wall of text! I'm really excited to learn more, trying to soak up everything I can about every breed and everything to do with chickens!
love.gif

Nice to meet you! :)

Hi, Nikki, excited much?
lol.png
Welcome to BYC. Check out the Learning Center located at the top of the page and search the forums. Plan and you will be good to go when you come 'home'. Good luck in establishing your flock.

Welcome to BYC, Nikki. Glad you decided to join our flock. Based on your criteria of being sweet and gentle, breeds that you might want to consider that have a well deserved reputation for being sweet and gentle include Faverolles, Australorps, Orpingtons, Silkies, Sussex, Cochins, and Brahmas. Of course there can always be an exception with any breed but these breeds typically make great lap pets. If you're looking for beauty, Salmon Faverolles (pictured below) are a gorgeous breed that are make wonderful lap pets. X2 on sourland; if you haven't done so already, definitely check out our Learning Center at https://www.backyardchickens.com/atype/1/Learning_Center. There is lots of useful information there. Please feel free to ask any questions you may have. We are here to help in any way we can. Cheers.
large-breed-salmon-faverolle-chicks-for-sale-536e147b0238e.JPG

http://www.pets4homes.co.uk/images/...n-faverolle-chicks-for-sale-536e147b0238e.JPG

Last edited:
Hi Nikki,
welcome-byc.gif

That was a really interesting intro, thanks for telling us about your plans. It sounds like you've done a good job researching breeds. If you have any questions, feel free to ask. There is a lot of information available here and a lot of friendly, helpful members.

I hope all your plans work out. And don't worry about boring people with chicken chatter, we do that all day long
smile.png

It's nice to have you here!

Hi, Nikki, excited much?
lol.png
Welcome to BYC. Check out the Learning Center located at the top of the page and search the forums. Plan and you will be good to go when you come 'home'. Good luck in establishing your flock.
Yes, I really am! XD Thank you! I have plenty of time to do more planning, that's for sure! lol I've been reading everything on here, including in the Learning Center, finding out as much as possible!

Welcome to BYC, Nikki. Glad you decided to join our flock. Based on your criteria of being sweet and gentle, breeds that you might want to consider that have a well deserved reputation for being sweet and gentle include Faverolles, Australorps, Orpingtons, Silkies, Sussex, Cochins, and Brahmas. Of course there can always be an exception with any breed but these breeds typically make great lap pets. If you're looking for beauty, Salmon Faverolles (pictured below) are a gorgeous breed that are make wonderful lap pets. X2 on sourland; if you haven't done so already, definitely check out our Learning Center at https://www.backyardchickens.com/atype/1/Learning_Center. There is lots of useful information there. Please feel free to ask any questions you may have. We are here to help in any way we can. Cheers.
Thank you! I will definitely have to look into those breeds too, I am sure I will probably end up with a much larger flock than I intend to get! lol

Hi Nikki,
welcome-byc.gif

That was a really interesting intro, thanks for telling us about your plans. It sounds like you've done a good job researching breeds. If you have any questions, feel free to ask. There is a lot of information available here and a lot of friendly, helpful members.

I hope all your plans work out. And don't worry about boring people with chicken chatter, we do that all day long
smile.png

It's nice to have you here!
Thank you, I'm glad you enjoyed my intro! I am so excited, I wish I could move to the US, get a nice big yard and start right now, lol!

Welcome to Backyard chickens. Have you explored the "Serama" thread and "People with housechickens.? I mention that because Seramas were originally bred to be house pets. Rather than give them a separate coop or hutch, you may want to keep a couple just as house birds, and have a secure fenced run with cover for when you want them outdoors.

Back
Top Bottom