Hi there

Well I posted in what breed is this, so that question has been answered. But I do have others, what do saddle feathers look like for a Cockerel?

Do they really need 4 sq ft of space in the coop if they free range?

Yep still need the coop space.
Here is a photo of male feathers long skinny pointed. Hens are rounded. Males will have larger feet and combs. Hens feathers point back and cockerels points down see saddle feathers below and hackle feathers.
73A6BBD9-2BE0-4B14-8555-17C4CA368719.jpeg

-byc-egg-hen.png

hello-smiley.gif
Glad you could join us! I think you'll find lots of helpful folks here!

Do they really need 4 sq ft of space in the coop if they free range?
That space is just a guideline and recommended for when birds need to be locked in for any length of time during daylight hours. Crowded conditions lead to stress and severe pecking.

If they're always allowed to go outside, even in harsh weather (preferably with a covered area where they can stay dry) the coop could just be used as a roosting house instead. It would still have to be big enough to allow 12" linear roost space per bird and enough room to jump down without crashing into walls. Sometimes lower roosts can solve that problem. My pop door is always open and my birds have free access to a secure covered run... that way I don't have let them out to the big yard first thing in the morning --they still have plenty of space in the run. I don't find a reason to ever lock them inside just the coop itself.

Here's a couple links that may help:
How Much Room Do Chickens Need
How High Should Stuff Be?

Back
Top Bottom