Hi there

Aug 19, 2019
Hi all

New here and just looking for a bit of advise! I’m from the UK.

We lost one of our gorgeous girls to an unfortunate dog accident yesterday

We got 4 Ginger Nuts (ISA Browns) back in April at 16 weeks old and our daughter named them all Disney Princess names. Well I think I’m more devastated than she is that Belle is no more! Maybe it was just the whole scenario unfolding!

These chickens have become our 5th-8th babies (after the kids and dogs) and they are amazing and treated and fed like royalty!!

Anyways we now have just 3 chickens. What I would like some advice on is do we introduce more chickens?!

I know we would have to introduce 2 together as it wouldn’t be fair to just add 1 more.

We have an Omlette Eglu so technically it states you should only have 4 hens in it but I do know of someone who has 5 but they all came together so have always been that way.

I am looking at MAYBE Amber Stars for additional birds as they are just as docile as our girls and also really good layers.

We have a 3metre by 2 metre run which now looks empty with only 3 girls in it oddly!

Do I add more? Do I just leave our girls as they are?

As mentioned they are our babies so I will only do what’s best for them and their happiness at the end of the day!

Thank you for reading my ramble and sorry if it doesn’t all make sense!!

Emily

Hello, Emily, and welcome to BYC! :frow Glad you joined.
If it was me, I'd stick to just the three. It takes time to integrate new birds into a flock and it is best done with LOTS of space. The coop sounds like it might be a bit small.
But others may advise differently.

Last edited:
Welcome :welcome Sorry you lost your Belle! I also worry a tad that the coop may not be large enough for 5, especially in winter. Check out the learning center, nice articles on integrating new chickens. If you decide to add, go with 2, easier than introducing one chicken. Also easier if they are all about the same size. The ‘look, don’t touch’ method has always worked for me even when I only added a single girl. It can take a little time and patience but didn’t stress the chickens much

Hi all

New here and just looking for a bit of advise! I’m from the UK.

We lost one of our gorgeous girls to an unfortunate dog accident yesterday

We got 4 Ginger Nuts (ISA Browns) back in April at 16 weeks old and our daughter named them all Disney Princess names. Well I think I’m more devastated than she is that Belle is no more! Maybe it was just the whole scenario unfolding!

These chickens have become our 5th-8th babies (after the kids and dogs) and they are amazing and treated and fed like royalty!!

Anyways we now have just 3 chickens. What I would like some advice on is do we introduce more chickens?!

I know we would have to introduce 2 together as it wouldn’t be fair to just add 1 more.

We have an Omlette Eglu so technically it states you should only have 4 hens in it but I do know of someone who has 5 but they all came together so have always been that way.

I am looking at MAYBE Amber Stars for additional birds as they are just as docile as our girls and also really good layers.

We have a 3metre by 2 metre run which now looks empty with only 3 girls in it oddly!

Do I add more? Do I just leave our girls as they are?

As mentioned they are our babies so I will only do what’s best for them and their happiness at the end of the day!

Thank you for reading my ramble and sorry if it doesn’t all make sense!!

Emily

Welcome to BackYardChickens! So glad to have you here in our wonderful community of friendly, helpful, knowledgeable people!

Back
Top Bottom