Hi there

TallPinesRanch

Chirping
Dec 30, 2020
Hi everyone, long time lurker but new official member 😂 I figured it was time to actually join and contribute instead of silently lurking in the shadows.

So, introductions, I stole the template since I’m horrible at this stuff.

(1) Are you new to chickens / when did you first get chickens?
I’ve had chickens since I was a kid (1990’s) but have just now started really focusing on breeding quality birds instead of having a backyard egg production flock when I was growing up.

My daughter has started a 4-h poultry breeding project so we are switching from hatchery stock to privately bred as we get replacements for birds that have died. I think our oldest hen is almost 8 but most of her friends have slowly passed and she’s one of the last original birds we purchased after we moved to our property.

(2) How many chickens do you have right now?
We currently have approximately 50 birds, plus a dozen Muscovy ducks.

(3) What breeds do you have?
Australorp, lavender and chocolate Orpingtons, some EEs, Salmon Faverolles, a white giant, and light brahmas in our egg flock.

Assorted pet Silkies and a couple showgirls for entertainment.

My daughter had originally wanted to raise rosecomb Nankins for 4-h but we didn’t have any luck getting hatching eggs or finding juveniles. We originally bought Appenzeller Spitzhauben hatching eggs from a friend who breeds in KY but I’m still not clear if she can use them for 4-h since they aren’t APA recogized. She also has a pair of golden Sebrights from the same friend that look to be feathering out really nicely (but I’m no expert). I attached a picture of the parents to our Sebrights.

We would also like to start raising turkeys (so recommendations of heritage breeds is appreciated). We like royal palms but don’t have any experience with them.

(4) What are your favorite aspects of raising backyard chickens? They’re so entertaining to watch and I love living a more sustainable lifestyle.

(5) What are some of your other hobbies?Raising/showing registered dairy goats, Boer goats, Dorper sheep, and Kunekune pigs. We like to try and focus our efforts on breeds listed by the livestock conservancy if we can.

(6) Tell us about your family, your other pets, your occupation, or anything else you'd like to share.
I’m a wildlife biologist with a state dept of transportation, my husband has his own lumber milling and custom woodworking business. We have 1 daughter in grade school who is loving this whole homeschooling thing 😒.

We have 8 dogs, 3 house dogs and 5 livestock guardians, 3 cats, 2 guinea pigs, a rabbit, and a bearded dragon.

(7) Bonus: How did you find BYC, how long have you known about BYC, and what made you finally join our awesome community?
I’ve known of and used BYC as a resource for probabaly close to 10 years. I decided to finally join because I need some interaction with other poultry people like me 😂

Attachments

• 21524E08-2B46-4DA8-834A-1C5A25F00E8D.jpeg
    21524E08-2B46-4DA8-834A-1C5A25F00E8D.jpeg
    177.1 KB · Views: 11

Back
Top Bottom