Hi there!

ZazasMom

Songster
Jan 18, 2021
Northern Rhode Island, USA
Hello!

First time chicken mom here! I’ve been reading the BYC forums every now and then, and already found great answers to a few questions I had as a new chicken mom.

We started our chicken journey in May with 2 Buff Orpingtons, and 3 Barred Rocks. We have a 4-year old daughter, and we wanted to introduce her to owning pets this way, and we also love the added benefits of having eggs and manure/compost for the garden.

The reason that I finally joined this forum is that we sadly lost 4 of the 5 hens to a predator on Friday, while they were free-ranging 😭😭 I need some guidance in what to do now, but I will ask all my questions in a separate thread later tonight.

Happy to be on board!
Zaza’s Mom

Thanks, everyone!

We will most likely give our hen (9-month old Barred Rock “Zaza”) to my friend who has a flock of about 20 hens and 2 roosters. But we need to treat her for mites first, which we just discovered, and I also just went back to work after 9 months of being unemployed through the pandemic. So, the timing is not great... We are hooked though, and we want to try again with new chicks this spring, having learnt a lot already and hoping to do better with the next flock. No more free-ranging without humans around!

And yes, we haven’t let her out of her run since the attack, but it’s sad to see her all alone. She’s still laying her one egg a day though, so I think she’ll push through.

We’re located in northern RI, btw 😊

Back
Top Bottom