Hi there!

Hey y'all! Raising my first batch of chicks in Southeast Texas

(1) Are you new to chickens / when did you first get chickens?
Yes, im new to chickens. My husband and I got our first chicks, less than a week ago

(2) How many chickens do you have right now?
We have 5

(3) What breeds do you have?
1 Leghorn, 2 Rhode Island Reds and 2 Black Copper Marans

(4) What are your favorite aspects of raising backyard chickens?
I love that (fingers crossed) well be able to get a good amount of eggs. I think it'll be really fun to watch them grow up and having them right in the yard, it'll be very hands on.

(5) What are some of your other hobbies?
I love reading and learning how to homestead, which is part of the reason we got chickens

(6) Tell us about your family, your other pets, your occupation, or anything else you'd like to share.
I am a Housewife, pursuing my doula certification. We have 3 dogs and a bunch if little fish

(7) Bonus: How did you find BYC, how long have you known about BYC, and what made you finally join our awesome community? :D

I found BYC through my constant googling...literally every time I've been worried about stuff from pasty butt to brooder temperature to why my chick is chirping so loudly, I end up here and it's so easy to understand/get advice
Welcome. If you elevate that feeder just slightly, you can avoid some pine shaving going in. My experience is that chirping loudly means they are cold. At the same time, you want to have the correct temperature for the correct age, but you want to have some part of your brooder cooler so that they can get away from the temp if they need to.

Welcome. If you elevate that feeder just slightly, you can avoid some pine shaving going in. My experience is that chirping loudly means they are cold. At the same time, you want to have the correct temperature for the correct age, but you want to have some part of your brooder cooler so that they can get away from the temp if they need to.
Good advice on elevating the feeder, they get so much crud in there lol. The brooder is 95 under the heat source and progressively gets slightly cooler as they get further away. I believe my one little girl just likes talking. Her vent temperature is perfect. And she usually gets quiet once I come over to check on them. But thank you overall for your suggestions

Back
Top Bottom